Heraldry on Tower Shields

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Heraldry on Tower Shields

Post by Ralzar »

I ran into this screenshot of a character with a tower shield with a heralrdy. I assume it is Daggerfalls? Or knights of the dragon?

I assume this is some kind of mod?
But it made me think. Would it be possible to have an icon for each knightly order and temple and have a mod that simply pasted the heraldry of your guild on all tower shields in the game?

King of Worms

Re: Heraldry on Tower Shields

Post by King of Worms »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:19 pm I ran into this screenshot of a character with a tower shield with a heralrdy. I assume it is Daggerfalls? Or knights of the dragon?

I assume this is some kind of mod?
But it made me think. Would it be possible to have an icon for each knightly order and temple and have a mod that simply pasted the heraldry of your guild on all tower shields in the game?
That sounds like a nice detail I want to have in my game. This is a Daggerfall city sign tho, not a guild. Having a guild sign make sense to me, but city sign? Not sure.

For me, the best way might be, having a customization option at the smith maybe? With loads of icons you can choose from. Just a idea. Nice screen!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, it would generally be nice to have someone who could paint armor and and shields. So you could paint your Deadric armour golden for example. So you weren't so forced to looking like some kind of armoured clown.
Painting heraldry on shields would also be just great. One way to do it would be for knightly orders, instead of random armour piece, gave a tower shield with the knights sigil in different materials when you ranked up.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:12 pm Yeah, it would generally be nice to have someone who could paint armor and and shields. So you could paint your Deadric armour golden for example. So you weren't so forced to looking like some kind of armoured clown.
Painting heraldry on shields would also be just great.
This could be seriously cool 8-) 8-) 8-)

What about a painting service provided by blacksmiths? :?:

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:33 pm This is a Daggerfall city sign tho, not a guild. Having a guild sign make sense to me, but city sign? Not sure.
I think it would make sense for the knightly orders to show their province's heraldry on their shields. In this case here, it'd fit Daggerfall's Knights of the Dragon perfectly.

It's pretty cool! Putting your own heraldry would be great as well. Finding shields in loot bearing random heraldry would add a nice touch too.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This is a wonderful idea. However, keep in mind the amount of art assets this would need to work.

Easiest way, if possible, would be to create the symbols by themselves with a invisible alpha layer. Then apply it to the top of whatever shield is equipped.

If it can't be done this way, you would have to create a tower shield sprite for every material type times every symbol. This would mean allot of art assets would need to be made by a good artist.

I bring this up because one of the bigger problems I've noticed around here is a lack of a number of talented artists who can pump out the art work/sprites all these mod ideas have. There are a few wonderful artists on this forum, but they are already slammed with their own stuff it seems.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

pango

Post by pango »

Well, found that in the forums: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=489
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

That may be usable in some way. However, we still need to know if they could be applied over the shield as a new layer, or if someone would have to make a version of each shield times each heraldry.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

l3lessed wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 pm I bring this up because one of the bigger problems I've noticed around here is a lack of a number of talented artists who can pump out the art work/sprites all these mod ideas have. There are a few wonderful artists on this forum, but they are already slammed with their own stuff it seems.
Agreed. And is why I specifically in my mod suggestions try to think of ways to work within the existing art assets. Simply repurposing items and functions. In this case, whet I am hoping, is that there are unused art in the vanilla game that can simply be edited a bit to fit the shields (unless it turns out there actually allready is heraldry sprites that were never implemeted. You never know with Daggerfall :D)
One potiential source, is stuff like the signs outside Temples. These could be stripped off the sign (if they are not allready layers put on top of a default blank sign) and then just need a little twisting and distorting to make them fit shields.

I would imagine that this could be a layer on top of the shield that is not affected by material types. Much like, for example, the helmet horns that stay brown.

For the armour painting/coloring: (Dyeing? Laminating? Warnishing? What is the process of colouring an armour?)

I could see bottles of paint being sold in... clothing stores maybe? I keep wanting alchemists and clothing stores to have something interesting in them. You'd just need to use some potion icon for the item and have it sell some random colors. Like a "Red Paint", "Blue Paint" etc. Then when you use it, it just dyes all worn armour and weapon/shield in its color.

Or if you want to get fancy, have a window pop up that lets you choose color from a list.
Or even more fancy: use the paint to change your cursour to a paint brush (there I go with the art asset again). Then click on the item you want to colour.