Nerfing Speed?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Nerfing Speed?

Post by Ralzar »

I'm playing a knight with pretty evenly distributed stats. I recently got an item that buffs my Speed to 100 and wow... I had completely forgotten how much of a god mode that is. The effect on DPS is just absurd, and since I use blunt weapon the enemies become stun-locked as well. It actually made the game pretty boring because all enemies were just grinded apart without me bothering to consider strategy at all.
It's also feels kind of silly that if you want to build a melee character, Speed increases your damage output more than Strength or Agility does.

So, a mod that adjusts down how much speed affects attack speed? Or maybe sets a roof on animation speed (by weapon?) Or maybe has some kind of diminishing returns? Since I'd say it works fine until you hit around 70-80 SPD.

Ommamar

Re: Nerfing Speed?

Post by Ommamar »

Tying speed into stamina would be a way to go. I watch a lot of MMA one thing that happens a lot is that people will get into a good position or situation then swing like crazy. If their opponent withstands the barrage of attacks then they are in trouble as they will be fatigued. A bracket system that allows you to apply fulll speed at 100 stamina but drops off as your level of stamina does would be very realistic. The best way would probably be a time interval so if you attacked a certain number of times in a certain time frame you would see a de-buff utilizing a modified system from the code used from potions. If you where strategic and paced with your attacks you could still be faster then your opponent but if you flailed around it would give you a disadvantage.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I guess attacking allready burns Stamina? Perhaps this should be increased? Or maybe it doesn’t calculate Stamina loss per attack?

Because yeah, at that attack speed you should burn through Stamina pretty fast.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Yes combat does go through stamina at a slow rate as does walking/running, climbing, I have even noticed it effected while mounted. But I definitely think it needs to be adjusted for the rate it is used, the amount of stamina you have doesn't seem to effect the speed as I can swing a weapon at the same rate of speed with a full bar as a nearly empty one.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

It could simply be that Stamina has a rate of consumption based your status as “attacking”. So doing 1 slow swing over 2 seconds burns the exact same amount as 10 super fast attacks over 2 seconds.

Or it could simply be that attacking costs so little stamina you don’t notice it.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Every single one of my optimized characters who isn't a pure mage has maximized speed.

So yeah a speed nerf is probably a good idea. The simplest approach would be to make high and low speed less, er, fast.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

It's also a big part of why lycantrophy is so OP. If the speed buff didn't make you into a human blender, it would be a bit more balanced.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Would it perhaps be possible to cap animation speed for different weapons? So, for example, 2-handers won't animate faster than Speed 50, 1-handers Speed 60, short blade 80 and hand-to-hand 100?

Would also help to balance out the weapons so 2-handed weapons weren't ALLWAYS the optimal choice.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I have to disagree, i love how the speed is now and if this is how it was in classic then it should stay this way. Or at least the nerf should be optional option, and if 100 speed bothers you you can simply not raise it to 100. Its very easy to manipulate attributes so that your character fits your play style.

Edit: Damn phone, too small screen and not noticed at what section this topic was.
Last edited by Seferoth on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Seferoth wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:34 am I have to disagree, i love how the speed is now and if this is how it was in classic then it should stay this way. Or at least the nerf should be optional option, and if 100 speed bothers you you can simply not raise it to 100. Its very easy to manipulate attributes so that your character fits your play style.
Ralzar is talking about a mod, not changing how DFU works.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt