Nerfing Speed?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Jeoshua

Re: Nerfing Speed?

Post by Jeoshua »

This actually brings to mind one of my gripes,that sleeping or magic are the only way to gain back Stamina. I know we don't want to replicate modern day shooters where you hide for 10 seconds and gain back all your health, but honestly why is "Regenerate Stamina" not an option?

It doesn't have to be in the main game, as the goal is to replicate DF Classic, but there DOES need to be a way to make Stamina (and Magica for that matter) have the Regenerate and Fast Healing properties applied to it for modding purposes. Interkarma and/or other devs please take note.

I do like the idea of more firmly tying Speed and Endurance together. They are two sides to the same coin, in Stamina. Speed is how fast you can spend it. Endurance is your store of it. For that matter, Strength is how effective you are at turning it into force and Agility is how accurately you can place it. Low Stamina should affect ALL of these factors; Low to-hit, low damage, low speed.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Jeoshua wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm This actually brings to mind one of my gripes,that sleeping or magic are the only way to gain back Stamina. I know we don't want to replicate modern day shooters where you hide for 10 seconds and gain back all your health, but honestly why is "Regenerate Stamina" not an option?

It doesn't have to be in the main game, as the goal is to replicate DF Classic, but there DOES need to be a way to make Stamina (and Magica for that matter) have the Regenerate and Fast Healing properties applied to it for modding purposes. Interkarma and/or other devs please take note.

I do like the idea of more firmly tying Speed and Endurance together. They are two sides to the same coin, in Stamina. Speed is how fast you can spend it. Endurance is your store of it. For that matter, Strength is how effective you are at turning it into force and Agility is how accurately you can place it. Low Stamina should affect ALL of these factors; Low to-hit, low damage, low speed.
There are stamina potions you can buy or make once you get enough faction. I understand what you are saying, I have always thought loiter would be a good option to recover stamina. I also like the idea of different attributes affecting each other. If you ever competed against another person athletically or even in something like cards or chess after a time period of repetitive tasks you just aren't as capable of performing that task as you where when you began.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This is something I plan on working on. I agree the current stamina and attack speed system is outdated and ridiculous. While training and practice can hone individuals skills and motions to allow faster and smoother attacks, the difference is nothing like depicted in DF between the slowest and highest attack speed.

I want some form of regenerative stamina, closer to Skyrim than DF classic. This is where I think we need to start, as stamina will be the main thing to affect attacking and attack speeds. If stamina operated more like Skyrim or modern games, that alone would help with the high attack speed spamming.

I also planned on leveling out attack speed in some form. I Haven't thought much about this, as I'm still focused on my animation work. The stamina idea mentioned in a previous post could help cap and limit abuse of high DPS, but this could still be exploited easily through stamina potions or abusing the resting system.

One idea I had was to add in some form of a stance setting period before and after an attack. Before you attack, there would be a short delay / weapon pullback animation, and a resetting / animation back to idle stance at the end of an attack.

The main issue is how to smooth out attack speeds and combat systems so they feel more natural throughout the whole playthrough while preserving the usefulness of original stats and items. Smoothing them out is not hard; balancing and maintaining the usefulness of the speed stat is the hard part.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.