Oblivion/Skyrim-esque physical combat mechanics

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
4nt

Oblivion/Skyrim-esque physical combat mechanics

Post by 4nt »

I recently looked into l3lessed's Combat Overhaul Alpha thread in the Creator's Corner (absolutely love the progress he's making so far), and i figured I'd suggest this idea since a mod that makes physical combat more straightforward could really give Elder Scrolls fans who got into the series with games like Oblivion or Skyrim (specifically those who prefer the collision detection system for physical weapon in those games and how connecting attacks guarantees damage) a means to transition into the Daggerfall scene and feasibly enjoy the game closer to the way they're used to experiencing other Elder Scrolls titles.

Primarily: I'm wondering if we could repurpose the use of stuff like multi-raycasting hit detection scripts seen in l3lessed's progress videos for the Combat Overhaul mod in order to faithfully reproduce Oblivion/Skyrim-esque hit detection and guaranteed hits.

Idk how people who are already fans of Daggerfall's hit-chance mechanics would receive the idea of a mod like this, but I'm pretty confident that a streamlined physical combat mod would really help pull more elder scrolls fans (especially those who grew up with Oblivion or Skyrim) into the Daggerfall Unity scene as a whole, which in turn could spawn even more future modders in the long run.

I just know that physical combat with melee weapons and bows is a typical gripe from people i know who play Oblivion and Skyrim and want to give games like Morrowind or Daggerfall a try. Because of that, i personally think a mod like this would be a smart move.

I should specify that this sort of streamlined combat script should only be for melee weapons and bow & arrows. I don't know if we should really mess with destruction magic and make it like oblivion or skyrim in terms of collision-based guaranteed hits since the way destruction magic currently works in vanilla Daggerfall is already fine imo. Otherwise, destruction magic would be pretty OP. I also want to specify that we should still keep damage calculations, modifier ranges and the like the same as it currently is in the game. This mod would just streamline how physical attacks from melee weapons and bow & arrows connect with enemy mobs and would guarantee a hit if the attack was aimed properly. I personally wouldn't want to introduce static damage into Daggerfall, combat would get way too boring otherwise.

Anyways, I'm curious about everyone's thoughts. Would a mod like this be worth undertaking in the future or no?

Firebrand

Re: Oblivion/Skyrim-esque physical combat mechanics

Post by Firebrand »

4nt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:32 am Anyways, I'm curious about everyone's thoughts. Would a mod like this be worth undertaking in the future or no?
Yes. I love Daggerfall, but fighting like the ones you have with 2-3 Dremora Markynaz in the spiral inside an Oblivion tower, with a column of fire going to the red sky, are simply the best and more enterteanimg fight I had in a game. Ever. 👍😀

So, I think that adding these mechanics to Daggerfall would be great. :)