two SURVIVAL ideas

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jacv

two SURVIVAL ideas

Post by jacv »

i dont know how hard could it be, but a simple tax system would make the game more survival like and would make gold more important, it could be a quest where depending on your level you have to pay an amount of gold, if the time expires they give you a bounty not equal to the gold but maybe same as stealing i dunno if its better to apply it to the player right when they get out of the first dungeon or just when they purchase a house or a ship, the crime would be tax evasion or it could be simply considered stealing, the tax would be payed to a tax colector that finds you everytime you go in a city or that is placed randomly in a city, or it could be also in the bank, or also to every guard. A simple hunger, thirst and sleep necessities mod, you could make the neccessities separate mods so you could install hunger and thirst, but not sleep neccessities or just simply hunger. What it could do is that you have an optional HUD indicator, 3 tiny bars that if depleted would apply a negative effect on you, thirst depletes your mana, hunger your health and sleep your fatigue, each one would make you die if the bars goes too low. you could also not do the HUD and instead do a quest (?) where you have to for example eat before the time expires, or else you die.
i feel so dumb just giving ideas, because i have no clue in programming, and you guys are aweasome at it, so feel free to consider doing them.

Ommamar

Re: two SURVIVAL ideas

Post by Ommamar »

I am not to much of a fan of the survival aspect of I have to eat or sleep but it would be great if food or drink gave you some kind of buff that would motivate you to use it. I really like how ESO implemented this you can run without food or drink but it is a noticeable drop in performance if you do.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Some ideas related to the tax idea - Guild fees and donations:
  • Guild fees:
    • The fee could be equal to (Current Reputation^3) - (Lowered Reputation)^3, so maintaining a reputation of 5 is 61 gp; 10 is 271gp; 25 is 1,801; and 100 is 29,701.
    • Paying your fee could negate the reputation drop for that month.
    • Alternately, not paying your fee could double your reputation drop for that month.
    • The player could select between those in the mod menu.
  • Monetary donations. I see no reason the Mage's Guild, at least, wouldn't accept these.
    • The fee for an increased reputation could be New Reputation^3 - Old Reputation^3, so a reputation of 5 is 125gp; 10 is 1,000gp; 25 is 15,625gp; and 100 is 1,000,000gp.
  • Not everyone might want monetary donations. Some might also or instead accept certain items - although probably only at 25-33% of base value.
    • Donate holy symbols, holy books, and so on to your Temple? Extra above what you need could rollover to the next month.
    • Donate weapons and armour to the Fighter's Guild ('cast when used' or 'cast when worn' enchantments only, please)?
    • Donate magic items to the Mage's Guild (no armour or weapons, please)?
    • Donate gems and jewelry to the Thieves' guild?
    • ...Donate bodily remains to the Dark Brotherhood?
    • Perhaps the monthly fee could be paid the same way?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 am
  • Not everyone might want monetary donations. Some might also or instead accept certain items - although probably only at 25-33% of base value.
    • Donate holy symbols, holy books, and so on to your Temple? Extra above what you need could rollover to the next month.
    • Donate weapons and armour to the Fighter's Guild ('cast when used' or 'cast when worn' enchantments only, please)?
    • Donate magic items to the Mage's Guild (no armour or weapons, please)?
    • Donate gems and jewelry to the Thieves' guild?
    • ...Donate bodily remains to the Dark Brotherhood?
    • Perhaps the monthly fee could be paid the same way?
The other ideas seems like they could just become an annoyance. After all, with how broken the economy in Daggerfall gets after a while, you wouldn't actually care about the money. You'd just be forced to make sure you visited each guild and clikced on the right NPC.
But donating items seems really interesting. I have always wondered why no one but the pawn shops wanted the stacks of holy books I found.
The Archeologist mod solved this by letting you trade these in for special guild items. I'd really like to see more of that kind of mechanics.
All guilds could have an Donation NPC, but none of them take money. They all take one or more specific items instead. And maybe the item changes as you increase in rank? So a rank 9 FG member would have to donate some kind of magic deadric/ebony armor to get anything from it.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:29 am The other ideas seems like they could just become an annoyance. After all, with how broken the economy in Daggerfall gets after a while, you wouldn't actually care about the money. You'd just be forced to make sure you visited each guild and clikced on the right NPC.
But donating items seems really interesting. I have always wondered why no one but the pawn shops wanted the stacks of holy books I found.
The Archeologist mod solved this by letting you trade these in for special guild items. I'd really like to see more of that kind of mechanics.
All guilds could have an Donation NPC, but none of them take money. They all take one or more specific items instead. And maybe the item changes as you increase in rank? So a rank 9 FG member would have to donate some kind of magic deadric/ebony armor to get anything from it.
Hmm.. I get your point about turning the reputation system into a numbers game where you just drop gold into it. So until an "Economy Balance" mod comes out, donating items is really the only one that works, I guess. Perhaps only count your largest single donation item for that month, to prevent players from simply, say, dumping a spare set of Daedric armour?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Oh how I would like an economy balance mod. That would have so many effects throughout the game. You'd get a LONG way by simply making all dropped loots be "Worn" condition (as long as that affects selling price). Then, if possible: all shops have selection and amount of gold to buy stuff for limited by shop quality, and fixing or removing the wagon.
Suddenly the stuff you find in dungeons is generally not worth that much. It's a lot of hassle to get it all back to town, and the shops might not want to buy all the junk you hauled with you (or not have enough money to pay what it's really worth).

Anyway, for this idea I think making only one donation a month would probably be an alright way to do it. The other way I can think of, would be to need a larger donation for any effect based on Rank.
For example:
At Rank 1, 100g worth of donation = 1 rep.
At rank 2, 400g worth of donations = 1 rep
At rank 3, 800g worth of donations = 1 rep
(Edit: Also, you could limit it to donating 1 item at a time. So at rank 2 you HAD to donate something worth 400g or higher. You couldn't just donate 4 100g items. But if you donated an 800g item, it gave +2 rep)

And so on.
Fighters Guild would take Armour and weapons.
Mages Guild would take some ingredients.
Temples would take some holy items.
Knights Orders would take some monster remains.
Thieves Guild... would take stolen items? (Seriously, if stolen items got flagged as such, that would open so many options for Thieces Guild)
Dark Brotherhood... Not sure really. Maybe some kind of ingredients?

jacv

Post by jacv »

YES the ideas for this economie rebalanced mod are just perfect, also i think that the necessities could be implemented in a way that buffs your character, maybe a well fed or well rest buff, make the time before you start getting debuffs more large, like 24 hours, the buffs would be harder to get if you dont eat regularly, so like the effect is just 3-4 hours, before 3 hours of no eating you would have to eat like 2-3 food items to get the buff again, after 4-6 hours you need to eat like 4-5 food items. After the 24 hour limit you would become very hungry and dehydrated, so you would have to drink and eat a lot, also teh time could be increased to like 35 hours, also it could be another type of debuff like a debuff to your speed so that it isnt that punishing, that way it shoulnt be annoying at all, and like taverns would be useful for once.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Thinking about this I got it into my head that the higher the level on the fighter you wind up smacking around the more likely (s)he is to keep up the condition of the weapons. Maybe a low-level fighter would be unable to afford the upkeep on that mithril longsword so it is a bit worn. Maybe in the fight, you just broke their shield. I would think a condition randomizer would go well with a realistic loot mod.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.