(Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
dashyr89
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

(Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:21 am

If monsters would shut up for a minute. xD

Hearing skelettons constantly screaming and rats squaking the whole time makes me wish there was a mod to shut them up. I'd love to explore this dark dungeon with only the crackling of my torch... until all of the sudden I am spotted am bam I hear that skeleton scream and I scramble trying to get a hold of my sword.....

No really... This is more annoying than anything else. Any way to shut them up? Either by settings or by mods?

User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by Ralzar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:42 am

Hm... a mod that made monsters stay silen unless aggroed? That could be pretty nice actually.
And with the enemy infighting, the enemies wouldn’t allbe completely quiet...

Narf the Mouse
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by Narf the Mouse » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:45 am

Generally speaking, animals make noise in the following cases:

- They are very confident and unworried (a large herd of cows who don't smell any predators).
- Claim territory (wolves howling).
- Sound the alarm (a herd of cows who've just heard wolves).
- Communicate across long distances (wolves coordinating an attack on a lone cow).
- They are too stupid to know otherwise (sheep in general).
- To communicate with humans (housecats, generally).

That still leaves Undead, Daedra, and Vermin. For the latter, all I really know is that most communal insects communicate by smell, and only generally make human-audible noise if they have wings.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

dashyr89
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 am

Narf the Mouse wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:45 am
Generally speaking, animals make noise in the following cases:

- They are very confident and unworried (a large herd of cows who don't smell any predators).
- Claim territory (wolves howling).
- Sound the alarm (a herd of cows who've just heard wolves).
- Communicate across long distances (wolves coordinating an attack on a lone cow).
- They are too stupid to know otherwise (sheep in general).
- To communicate with humans (housecats, generally).

That still leaves Undead, Daedra, and Vermin. For the latter, all I really know is that most communal insects communicate by smell, and only generally make human-audible noise if they have wings.
Are we really going to apply logic to the elder scrolls? Then what about sound propagation then? Why the hell can't I hear the muffled screams around the corner instead of hearing them through a 6 feet thick stone ceiling?

dashyr89
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 am

dashyr89 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 am
Narf the Mouse wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:45 am
Generally speaking, animals make noise in the following cases:

- They are very confident and unworried (a large herd of cows who don't smell any predators).
- Claim territory (wolves howling).
- Sound the alarm (a herd of cows who've just heard wolves).
- Communicate across long distances (wolves coordinating an attack on a lone cow).
- They are too stupid to know otherwise (sheep in general).
- To communicate with humans (housecats, generally).

That still leaves Undead, Daedra, and Vermin. For the latter, all I really know is that most communal insects communicate by smell, and only generally make human-audible noise if they have wings.
Are we really going to apply logic to the elder scrolls? Then what about sound propagation then? Why the hell can't I hear the muffled screams around the corner instead of hearing them through a 6 feet thick stone wall like if they were screaming down my ear canal?

User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by Ralzar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 am

Undead would actually be really creepy if they were completely silent until you triggered them. Instead of them just standing around in the dungeons screaming and moaning.
Rounding a corner and having a skeleton scream in my face would hve me falling out of my chair :D

dashyr89
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:57 am

Ralzar wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 am
Undead would actually be really creepy if they were completely silent until you triggered them. Instead of them just standing around in the dungeons screaming and moaning.
Rounding a corner and having a skeleton scream in my face would hve me falling out of my chair :D
That and also it would allow for the atmosphere to seep in. Hard to be immersed when all you hear are screams when they are clearly not even on the same level as you are. I wonder if somebody can mod that in... Surely, there has to be a way.

User avatar
pango
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by pango » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:16 am

Enemy screams are damped by -12dB when they're not directly visible:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ds.cs#L247

You can try Cleaned SoundClips that have adjusted sound volumes:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1692

Talking about annoyances, use descriptive forum topics. Generic/clickbait titles just makes me want to skip them.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

dashyr89
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm

pango wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:16 am
Enemy screams are damped by -12dB when they're not directly visible:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ds.cs#L247

You can try Cleaned SoundClips that have adjusted sound volumes:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1692

Talking about annoyances, use descriptive forum topics. Generic/clickbait titles just makes me want to skip them.
12db or not. Dosen't make much a difference especially with the skeletons.... Those a dead annoying.

It ain't clickbait if I feel it would truely be an improvement. If you want to call it clickbait just because it dosen't fit within your point of view, that's on you. But, don't blame me for it. Thanks for the suggestions nonetheless. I will have a look at this soundpack.

User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by Ralzar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:43 pm

pango wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:16 am
Enemy screams are damped by -12dB when they're not directly visible:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ds.cs#L247
Hm, I did not know that. I think maybe it could be lowered even more, but it's a nice thouch.
You can try Cleaned SoundClips that have adjusted sound volumes:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1692
Hm, I did not know about that mod. Going to give it a spin :)

Post Reply