(Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
BadLuckBurt
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by BadLuckBurt » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:46 pm

You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to the forums?
Spoiler!
If the subject of a post actually indicated what the post is about.

On a sidenote, one has to wonder how those skeletons are screaming, they have no vocal chords :lol:

User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: (Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by Jay_H » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:48 pm

I updated the thread title to give more indication ;)

dashyr89
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: (Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Jay_H wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:48 pm
I updated the thread title to give more indication ;)
Was just about to do it. :D

Well thank you. ;)

Firebrand
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by Firebrand » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:16 pm

BadLuckBurt wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:46 pm
On a sidenote, one has to wonder how those skeletons are screaming, they have no vocal chords :lol:
They also have no muscle, and yet they move :lol:

User avatar
pango
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by pango » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:26 pm

dashyr89 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm
It ain't clickbait if I feel it would truely be an improvement.
This is a sophism that's easily debunked.
I'm sure all people writing in forums are convinced their posts are worth being read, so by your argument everybody should be entitled to use meaningless topics. Now imagine how the forums would look like after a month if everybody did, it would have become a terrible mess.
dashyr89 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm
If you want to call it clickbait just because it dosen't fit within your point of view, that's on you.
That's so crooked, do some people do that?
If I did, I would have said "skeletons are annoying on purpose, get over it" :D
But instead I took the question seriously.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

dashyr89
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:33 pm

pango wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:26 pm
dashyr89 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm
It ain't clickbait if I feel it would truely be an improvement.
This is a sophism that's easily debunked.
I'm sure all people writing in forums are convinced their posts are worth being read, so by your argument everybody should be entitled to use meaningless topics. Now imagine how the forums would look like after a month if everybody did, it would have become a terrible mess.
dashyr89 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm
If you want to call it clickbait just because it dosen't fit within your point of view, that's on you.
That's so crooked, do some people do that?
If I did, I would have said "skeletons are annoying on purpose, get over it" :D
But instead I took the question seriously.
The mod worked by the way. Way less drum bursting with it.

User avatar
pango
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: (Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by pango » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:12 pm

That EnemySounds class was really interesting to study...

Code: Select all

        public bool LinearRolloff = true;           // Linear rolloff is more Daggerfall-like
...
            if (LinearRolloff)
                dfAudioSource.AudioSource.rolloffMode = AudioRolloffMode.Linear;
First off, the enemy sounds decrease linearly, while the default used almost everywhere is logarithmic (which decays faster with distance) because it usually feels more natural.
One could argue that caves propagate sounds better, but in any case that's certainly one of the reasons why monsters sound so loud from afar, even with walls dampening.

Code: Select all

        private void PlayAttractSound()
        {
            // Humans must be flagged to play sounds
            if (IgnoreHumanSounds())
                return;
...
        private bool IgnoreHumanSounds()
        {
            if (mobile.Summary.Enemy.ID > 127 && mobile.Summary.Enemy.ID != 146 && MuteHumanSounds)
                return true;
            else
                return false;
        }
This shows how humans sounds are specifically muted; So it would be easy to mute other types of monsters.
However hearing monsters has tactical benefits, so that looks a bit extreme.

Code: Select all

            // Random chance favors bark sound
            if (Random.value > 0.8f)
                dfAudioSource.AudioSource.PlayOneShot(moveClip, volumeScale * DaggerfallUnity.Settings.SoundVolume);
            else
                dfAudioSource.AudioSource.PlayOneShot(barkClip, volumeScale * DaggerfallUnity.Settings.SoundVolume);
4/5th of the time monsters bark/scream/whatever, and only 1/5th of the time they make walking sounds.
Tweaking that could be another way to make monsters sounds less annoying (hopefully).

So lots of opportunities for modding that class, if somebody is up to it.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Narf the Mouse
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by Narf the Mouse » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:14 am

dashyr89 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 am
Are we really going to apply logic to the elder scrolls? Then what about sound propagation then? Why the hell can't I hear the muffled screams around the corner instead of hearing them through a 6 feet thick stone ceiling?
No, of course not.

We're going to apply tonal architecture to the Elder Scrolls. Now get to figuring those sound-based questions out! :P
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

BansheeXYZ
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: (Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by BansheeXYZ » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am

I don't see why this couldn't be part of the AI options. I mean, we've already got enemies killing each other, which substantially lowers difficulty. This one could actually make the game play better. If monsters didn't warn you of their existence behind that door/wall/corner by vocalizing, there would be a lot more scary moments of bumping into enemies.

dashyr89
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: (Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:40 pm

BansheeXYZ wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am
I don't see why this couldn't be part of the AI options. I mean, we've already got enemies killing each other, which substantially lowers difficulty. This one could actually make the game play better. If monsters didn't warn you of their existence behind that door/wall/corner by vocalizing, there would be a lot more scary moments of bumping into enemies.
Yeah, the fighting each other parts is something I find odd. Perhaps they think it would make the game better that way but as you said it makes it easier. Not even mentioning that when you start thinking about it.... Why do they start killing eachother only when you arrive?

Post Reply