Changing monster stats

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Jay_H

Changing monster stats

Post by Jay_H »

Are monster stats open to modding? Until we can add new monsters, another idea is to alter the ones already in the game.

Ralzar

Re: Changing monster stats

Post by Ralzar »

Well, most of the moster stats seem to be here:
EnemyBasics.cs

But don't ask me if mods can actually affect this :D

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

It would be nice to make that stats dynamic, meaning that monsters get stronger (up to a certain point) as the player's character increase levels.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Firebrand wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:57 am It would be nice to make that stats dynamic, meaning that monsters get stronger (up to a certain point) as the player's character increase levels.
I would only want that if the enemies artwork changed as well. The last thing I’d want is super-powered rats that were “balanced” to my lvl20 warrior god. Unless said rats were the size of bears or was glowing or something.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:44 am
Firebrand wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:57 am It would be nice to make that stats dynamic, meaning that monsters get stronger (up to a certain point) as the player's character increase levels.
I would only want that if the enemies artwork changed as well. The last thing I’d want is super-powered rats that were “balanced” to my lvl20 warrior god. Unless said rats were the size of bears or was glowing or something.
Well, I was saying "up to a certain point" for that reason :lol:

So, for example, maybe rats can go from level 1 to level 3, and then stop leveling :)

What I really don't like are enemies leveling indefinitely, like in vanilla Oblivion when you're a level 63 demi-god who just defeated the hordes of Oblivion and you encounter, in a random road, a bandit with 1000+ HP. What is wrong with Cyrodil? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Firebrand wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:37 am
Ralzar wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:44 am
Well, I was saying "up to a certain point" for that reason :lol:

So, for example, maybe rats can go from level 1 to level 3, and then stop leveling :)

What I really don't like are enemies leveling indefinitely, like in vanilla Oblivion when you're a level 63 demi-god who just defeated the hordes of Oblivion and you encounter, in a random road, a bandit with 1000+ HP. What is wrong with Cyrodil? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The experience that totally made me give up on Oblivion is when I leveld up my character and goblins started killing me. I was fighting them easily a few levels ago. Since i hadn't made an optimal build, the enemies were out-leveling me without any visual indicator that they were not the exact same enemies I had met earlier.

Of course, the bandits on their way to an armored rave party did not exactly improve my disposition. ""Give me 5 gold!" "You're wearing boots worth 500 000 gold?! If you need money, just sell a boot!"

So, personally I am not positive to any ideas about adjusting enemy level to player level. Allthough I would not mind if the nemies chose a random power level with a wider range. But I believe they allready do that to some degree.

With just being able to change the stats of existing enemies, I would rather go for buffing the high-tier enemies. Deadra Lords and Ancient Liches should never be a cake-walk.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:41 am So, personally I am not positive to any ideas about adjusting enemy level to player level. Allthough I would not mind if the nemies chose a random power level with a wider range. But I believe they allready do that to some degree.

With just being able to change the stats of existing enemies, I would rather go for buffing the high-tier enemies. Deadra Lords and Ancient Liches should never be a cake-walk.
I was having a look at DFU actual code linked above. It looks like creatures have a fixed level and stats, except for hitpoints, which may vary randomly in a certain range, sometimes really wide (like max hp = 4x min hp). So sometimes you meet a really strong Ancient Lich, sometimes not.
Human enemies on the other hand doesn't seems to have a fixed level or stats, but just use daggerfall predefined classes. I can say by experience that when you increase your level, they start using new spells, so I think that maybe (but It's a guess) they already scale their stats when you increase your level. Anyone know more about this? :?: