Skill level based training?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Lywzc

Skill level based training?

Post by Lywzc »

Daggerfall use character level based training which doesn't make much sense compared to skill level based one. I wonder if it can be changed.

Ralzar

Re: Skill level based training?

Post by Ralzar »

Not sure what you mean here? Are you talking about the guild trainers?

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

Yes.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ok, as far as I know, trainers can train you to 50% and then can’t help you anymore.
What do you want to change?

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

Cost goes up with your skill level rather than your character level.

pango

Post by pango »

Independently of any realistic/unrealistic considerations, it has an effect on gameplay; Because when training is based on your current skill level, you'll probably spread your early earnings more evenly than if you know that all skills will become more expensive later, no matter what you choose or even do. Scaling with character level, as a proxy for game time, creates some urgency.
It's also usually a proxy for player's wealth, so it (partially) balances things out.

So yeah, classic system is probably not perfect, but I doubt they didn't consider the options, and what kind of gameplay they wanted to favor.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Oh, you’re talking about the cost of training.
I agree, it’s kind of weird to base it on level. The obvious way to do it would be different skill level trainers cost differently. So you could have a skillcap 30% trainer that cost 400 gold/session, a skillcap 50% trainer at 1000 gold/session etc.

But then you would need new npcs. So sticking with one trainer per guild: either display the price after you have selected skill, base cost on highest trainable skill or base price on the average % of all trainable skills?

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

I prefer the showing price after choosing skill method. It is the simplest solution I think and it is alright.

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

And yes, character level based one will encourage you to train as early as possible but I really think that it is strange to do so.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Since DFU doesn't have place for different-level trainers like Morrowind/Oblivion, why not break it wide open with 100% trainers that become exorbitant over time?

Train a skill at:
3 = 32 gold
10 = 74 gold
32 = 840 gold
56 = 8932 gold
99 = 76782 gold

I mean it's a money sink Daggerfall needs, and a nice replacement for having to grind more and more skill to get to that 10th rank in the guild :D