Interpolating animations with DAIN

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Azteca

Interpolating animations with DAIN

Post by Azteca »

Interpolating animations

As found here: https://reddit.com/r/GameUpscale/commen ... e_a_badly/

Could be interesting for Daggerfall enemies.

pango

Re: Interpolating animations with DAIN

Post by pango »

Quite impressive video...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

The person behind that video is taking requests! Do you guys have anything from Daggerfall that would be a good candidate? Check out the wave example.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameUpscale/co ... test_some/

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Most of the videos. And the animated MOBs and NPCs.

But mobs do not support additional frames yet. And adding more frames to npcs make em move slower.

So only working part now is the vids I guess. Have em upscalled on my hdd.

pango

Post by pango »

More fluid animations is not out of question, but yeah you can't just drop them into current Daggerfall Unity and expect them to work. The number of frames, and their rate of display is hardcoded, and would have to be adjusted.

Obviously, that the kind of possibility that reminds me of how animations were originally created, then sampled down because of memory constraints (as explained in old Mark Jones web page). For example the female druid walk GIF on the site has 32 frames, when the final game only has 4 :(
Actually so much was lost, I'm not sure what can be done with 4 frames...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Good news. There is now a simple Windows application to try out DAIN on whatever you want.
It is in alpha, so read carefully.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameUpscale/co ... te_videos/
º The app will not work if there is any empty space in the video/gif filename or filepath.
º The "Complete bar" will stop around 98% and there is no "Complete message" but the video will be in the output folder.
I am on a Mac but would like to try this out. Here is the denoise intro video I made a while back. Can someone run this through DAIN for me?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ksci2ezzjfnz ... g.mp4?dl=0
(EDIT: I remember now that the denoised video is at 30fps but the original is 10FPS. So try setting input FPS to 10. I'm not sure how it will handle it)

If you run any animations through, I'd love to see those too.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Lovely news, I will deffo try that out and see what happens. I will report back in few days. Thanks for info

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

pango wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 am More fluid animations is not out of question, but yeah you can't just drop them into current Daggerfall Unity and expect them to work. The number of frames, and their rate of display is hardcoded, and would have to be adjusted.
How hard would it be to patch this into the asset injection? Seems like it could be automated somewhat, using the currently hardcoded values to provide the basis for timing.

For example:
If a hardcoded animation has 4 frames and they change every second, then the animation cycle time is 4 seconds.
If a override animation was detected that had 32 frames, you could assume that the cycle time should still be 4 seconds, so the frame time would be 4/32 == 1/8 second.

I'm out of touch with the animated flat injection system -- can it take GIFs, or does it take a sequence of images? I suppose the total number of frames can be detected either way, but GIF would be a lot easier both for producers and for the engine (separate images requires enumerating files to determine the number of frames, and that can end up being a lot slower than it ought to be).

Since there is a 32 frame GIF out there already, that would be a cool test subject...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Its a sequence of png images. Rest I dont know, sry

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

New alpha for the DAIN app. Very nice improvements for getting usable results.