Mod Suggestion: Nerfing Lycanthropy

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Re: Mod Suggestion: Nerfing Lycanthropy

Post by Ralzar »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 pm 'I'm curious though, how this would work with Tedious Travel and classic fast traveling (if you happen to be stuck traveling at the time of a full moon). Would travel be completely interrupted at that exact point of night arriving and transport you to a random place near the spot your travel was interrupted? If so, when using Tedious Travel it would be, well, tedious to find your items and force you to back track to where you were previously (good, not a big deal). If using fast travel, it would be impossible to find your items at that point, so pretty much count them deleted (hence best to plan travel ahead of time). Also, if you happen to be on your ship on a full moon, where would you be teleported to?
Good questions. I haven't even started looking at this. Honestly I usually develop my mods with the intention of using Tedious Travel. But even with Tedious Travel, you still have the problem of ship travel. It might be that I simply disallow fast travel that includes a full moon. But not sure how to code this and if it might be too awkward.
Perhaps upon arrival I add a few days for each full moon?
Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 pm Also, on the part of removing the 'hunt the innocent' aspect, Morrowind just let you hunt down a random NPC. It didn't have to be an innocent, though it didn't restrict you from killing one. So maybe just a random enemy would work? Not sure if that would be considered too easy in DF.
And this is a lot of the reason why I think I'll just strip out the Hunt The Innocent effect and make my own. There are several problems with this effect:

1: What is the lore basis for this? What is an "innocent"? The whole point is that you turn into a beast. What does a beast care about innocence? And are all people living in towns innocent? :D
"Hunger for the flesh of man" would make a lot more sense. Then it could be fulfilled by killing any commoner or human enemy.

2: The lowered max HP effect feels weird. There is no connection between the effect and the lore. I would think the problem of trying to supress the curse would be a spiritual/mental problem. A debuff of Willpower would make more sense. Where you die if it hits 0. So a person with high willpower would be able to go a lot longer than a low willpower person.

3: The whole gemaplay mechanic of changing to wererwolf, killing a commoner, getting chased by guards who can't hurt you, leave, come back to town as human and nothing happened. It's just awkward, lackluster and not really a penalty.

My vague idea so far is:

1: If you change into beastform, you must kill a human to change back. If not, you change back the next morning.

2: For each day you are not in beastform, you get a slight Willpower debuff. For example 2 per day.

3: Willpower is the governing factor for what happens during a full moon. The higher your willpower is, the greater chance you have of resisting the call of the moon. You will still be forced into beastform but will retain control.

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:07 am As for fast travel - Maybe you could allow fast travel even if it overlaps into a full moon, but give a warning about it with an option to 1) avoid traveling at this time, thus canceling fast travel, or 2) 'travel at own risk', and allow fast travel but 4 hours before a night of a full moon you are teleported to a nearby town with an inn, giving you the chance to deal with the transformation.
Yeah, I have no experience doing anything with the fast travel function. So atm I have no idea what I can or can't do. We'll see.
Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:07 am But I don't know what to think of the idea that you will transform back to human-form anyway the next day, because this gives you a choice to just rest through the day without killing someone in order to transform back. Losing 4 to 8 points of WILL temporarily isn't that big a deal. You could literally never kill anyone as a Lycanthrope because you can just transform once a week to gain back lost WILL and rest the day through, completely ignoring the penalty. I know that requiring you to kill as the only way to transform back seems weird too, so I don't know. Maybe I'm not thinking about this right. :?
Yeah, that's true. This is just some rough ideas at the moment. Most likely, the first version of this mod might still use the Hunt The Innocence mechanic. As it will take some work and testing to make something that actually works both from a roleplaying and gamemechanic perspective.

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

-

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, good ideas. I think I know how to stop the split-second change.

I love the idea of a werewolf pacifying other werewolfs! I’ll see if I can figure out some way to do it.

Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Great ideas here, especially making all your loot drop where you transform.
So if you transform to wereform with your clothes on, are they marked as broken or torn when you go to pick them up?
What about having some guards have silver swords? I mean, any main town or city that has had sightings or attacks would surely have guards equipped with silver swords in case of emergency.

And what about adding actual wolves as one of the generic creatures you encounter in the wilderness?
I'd also like to see updated artwork for the werecreatures.
And update the werecreature sounds to sound well, more horrific and terrifying. I want to get chills when I hear it. It would be great to have a way where the game would play werecreature howls in the distance as you're traveling, even though the werecreatures may not even be close to you. Just something to add to the horror.