Restoring drained attributes without forced faction joining.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Seferoth

Restoring drained attributes without forced faction joining.

Post by Seferoth »

I still need to voice my opinion and say that there should be a way for non-mages/temple members to heal damaged attributes. Forcing a person to join a FACTION just to heal attributes is pretty bad game design and really immersion breaking. Also, your character might not be able(or is willing) to use magic and has no skills to even be allowed to join Temple. Again, the most simple way to fix this would be to allow Temples to heal damaged attributes on holidays when they offer free services to non-members.
Last edited by Seferoth on Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Re: Trouble with drained attributes after disease

Post by Hazelnut »

You do understand that DFU is recreating the original Daggerfall game right? That means you're arguing with game designers from 20+ years ago who are not here on these forums.

You want that changed, then make a mod for it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:59 am You do understand that DFU is recreating the original Daggerfall game right? That means you're arguing with game designers from 20+ years ago who are not here on these forums.

You want that changed, then make a mod for it.
No reason to get so defensive over this. DFU has already made many changes that are not in original classic anyway and many others have been made optional.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Yes but the question there is original intent and/or modern sensibilities. Click to attack is just modernizing something. WASD movement is the same. Showing proper damage for weapons is a bug fix. Showing distant terrain is something intended but never realized by the original designers.

Now, if you wanted to have furniture sellers in the game that actually sell furniture, that would be an intent thing and maybe it could be made core. Changing the way temples work and the services they offer is out of scope for the core game.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Jeoshua wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:03 am Yes but the question there is original intent and/or modern sensibilities. Click to attack is just modernizing something. WASD movement is the same. Showing proper damage for weapons is a bug fix. Showing distant terrain is something intended but never realized by the original designers.

Now, if you wanted to have furniture sellers in the game that actually sell furniture, that would be an intent thing and maybe it could be made core. Changing the way temples work and the services they offer is out of scope for the core game.
Don't follow that logic. Something like furniture sellers does not belong to the game, there has never been something like that in the game. There is however FREE HEALINGS offered by temples in certain holidays, simply adding heal attributes to that is not out of place, no matter how you see it. Also, they also made radical changes to pacifying, simply telling player if they pacified an enemy is a big change, allowing player to rest next to pacified enemy is another. Why would you want to rest next to a person or monster who just wanted to murder you? A person or being you just sweet talked to not KILL you. Also how you as player or your character for that matter would know that you pacified an enemy who might be in a complete different floor than you? In classic this is not a problem as you would not be even aware that you might have pacified someone far away. It was made because it made the game more fun. Having Temples heal attributes in certain days is also a fun feature, lore correct feature and would fix a PROBLEM that is forced faction joining for something as mundane as healing attributes. Well, i am not going to change my opinion over this and yes i would mod this myself if i could.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Ahem. You haven't looked at the resource files and such. Yes, Furniture Store is a possible store type in Daggerfall Classic. It is a vestigial piece of something never implemented in the final product, but it was nonetheless planned. Apparently you would buy a house or ship, and then be able to buy furniture for it. Never made it in the end, along with enemies on horses and an honest to Gods DRAGON, in full 3d. Evidence of these things can be found all over the game files.

Temples, on the other hand, work pretty much exactly as intended. That's all I'm saying. Sure, what you say makes sense, but it falls into the wheelhouse of mod, not bug fix, cut content restoration, or modernizing change.

fuzzydodge

Post by fuzzydodge »

Hello again,
i think you are all rigth, the drained attributes thing is no bug, its a game design thing and i have forgotten over the long time how to handle it in game , sorry :) ..Good old old Daggerfall :) .But the idea of a mod for this would be nice, perhaps a talented modder can create somthing (sorry iam self not so good in this)so there is a possibily to repair attributes from the first hours starting the game so no one must backup savegames or have to start a new game :). Only heal possibility on one day in the year like a Tempel event woud be nice as a last chance (puh that means long time rest/loiter .. travelling to reach the right moment for the temple free healing) But perhaps a special char in Town/Tempel/Guild which cure instant for a
fee? without need to belong to any faction would be a grate deed :) . Please could someone make such a mod?
Sorry Interkarma i think the whole thing didnt belong to the bug section , more to the mod request , next time i make it better :) . Thanx to all for this nice game enhancements with all your mods. Every Day i look if there is something new in modbase
its realy cool :) Greetings

Jay_H

Re: Restoring drained attributes after disease

Post by Jay_H »

I split this topic over here, to give room for modding discussion re: restoring attributes ;)

Seferoth

Re: Restoring drained attributes after disease

Post by Seferoth »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:22 pm I split this topic over here, to give room for modding discussion re: restoring attributes ;)
Good idea, changed the topic title to meet the discussion.