Alarm clock mod idea

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jayhova

Alarm clock mod idea

Post by jayhova »

So there you are needing to go to the shop in the morning and they are closed until 11. Now you need to get up at a specific time. Well, you can't. you have to sleep for x number of hours. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just choose to wake at 9 am? How hard would this be to accomplish? This really only needs to happen at inns.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Re: Alarm clock mod idea

Post by pango »

Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:41 pm Related ideas: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2450&p=29081#p29081
It just seems a bit more realistic that the game should let you wake at a specific time the way people do in the real world. The real world works based on morning, evening, night cycles and people get up in the morning, not after X number of hours.

pango

Post by pango »

Well, that's a convenience that already exists in the game, so it's just making it even more convenient. That's a different take on the same topic, I'm not saying it's better, just related. Maybe you should change the topic to "Wake in the morning mod idea" or something to better differentiate the two?

(Talking of this, american indians used the trick to drink before going to sleep so that the urge to pee would awaken them after some time; That was probably not very precise, but we should be careful about what we consider realistic).
-- Charles Goodhart

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

It would be great to have an option to either sleep till dawn/dusk like normal and just take the So-and-so-many hours off the table. Without an actual alarm clock (and I've not seen a clock in in any ES gane besides Dwemer clockworks) I don't see how I'm sleeping for exactly 5 hours anyway.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Jeoshua wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:04 pm It would be great to have an option to either sleep till dawn/dusk like normal and just take the So-and-so-many hours off the table. Without an actual alarm clock (and I've not seen a clock in in any ES gane besides Dwemer clockworks) I don't see how I'm sleeping for exactly 5 hours anyway.
Well, one may also ask how without a watch the player's character know the time with the precision of a minute, inside and outside a building. :lol:

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Magic.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 am ..., but we should be careful about what we consider realistic.
IMHO if you are sleeping in an inn it's very realistic that you can request to be awakened any time you wish.

pango

Post by pango »

jayhova wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:04 am IMHO if you are sleeping in an inn it's very realistic that you can request to be awakened any time you wish.
I have no problem with that, that was a reply to "people get up in the morning, not after X number of hours."
-- Charles Goodhart