Mod suggestion: weapon hotkeys

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
DaveCastle

Mod suggestion: weapon hotkeys

Post by DaveCastle »

Hi y'all.
Not sure if this has been requested before (did a quick search but found nothing relevant) or how hard it would be to implement, but here it goes:

I like playing a character who's proficient with swords and bows, but the clunkiness of the default UI makes equipping a bow for a situation it'd suitable for a downright pain: go into the menu, equip the bow amongst all the weapons and armour you've looted, wait for about 5 seconds, start shooting away, then back to the menu, re-equip the melee weapon etc. etc.

Would it be feasible to create a mod where I could set weapons (or perhaps even spells) as favourites somewhat like in later games? The number keys don't even do anything as far as I'm aware, so those could be used when you hover over something in your inventory (or spellbook) and press a number to map it to the item. I wouldn't even mind the downtime that comes with reequipping, just the menu shenanigans are giving me a major headache in the long run.

(If there's already a similar topic I've missed then please point me at it and close this one.)
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

Ralzar

Re: Mod suggestion: weapon hotkeys

Post by Ralzar »

DaveCastle wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:17 am The number keys don't even do anything as far as I'm aware
Unless you bind them to something ;)
I rebind Daggerfall for WSAD with all functions bound to keys within reach, so I use 1-4 as Interaction Modes. 1 for Steal, 2 For Grab etc.

But I like your idea. What I can see as the best way to do this without access to adding more key slots to the keybinding menu:

Have "Switch Weapon" key be able to switch to weapons that are not currently equipped. Perhaps have a menu that lists all weapons, like the "Use Magic Item" key does. Where weapons allready in your hands are marked as equipped.

Or if you use Shift+"Switch Wepaon Key" to get a list of all weapons in your inventory that are NOT equipped, so you can choose a weapon to equip from there.

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle »

It's possible I misunderstand you, but your solution would merely relegate the problem to a different menu, I think. I don't want to choose from my equippables each time I press the change weapon key, because my problem is that after a good crawl I tend to have a crapton of weapons on my person and I don't want to have to scan through them each time. What I was suggesting is that you:

1. Press the corresponding hotkey while hovering the cursor over the given item(/spell) in the inventory(/spellbook) menu to map them together.
2. Press the mapped key to equip the item(/cast the spell).

Could something like this work?

EDIT: I totes forgot about the magic items, yeah, this could extend to those as well.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I have a feeling this idea might have some overlap with the Equipment Sets mod being worked on.

Maybe have Equipment Sets switching be a hotkey?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2158

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Changing between bow and melee weapon with a hotkey would be sweet. Still, it's not too bad when you have a magical dagger(or other magical weapon you use) and bow as they are in magic items tab so you can quickly find them if your inventory is filled with loot.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

About done with the first version. Main coding, UI, and data structures are setup, and all required features for full basic use are in. I only need to sort out how to save the outfit data/values to the save file to ensure permanency between play sessions, which am discussing with lucas now.

Post release features, which will be easier to put in, will be:
- Custom outfit names
- Custom hot keys for non-ui mod control
- A realism setting that will cause your character to slowly equip items one at a time to simulate realistic equipping and stop fast switch abuses for realistic centered players (like me). I'll probably assign an average equip rate to each item using real life medieval dress times reduced and adjusted for playability and fun. The smaller items can be thrown on easier (rings, dagger, short sword, cloaks) and large, complicated items go on slower (Claymore, Chest Piece, Leggings, Arms, Boots). No changing from full plate, complete decked out setup to comfortable town cloths in a split second.

viewtopic.php?f=22&p=36952#p36952
Last edited by l3lessed on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 pm and a realism setting that will cause you character to slowly equip items one at a time to simulate realistic equipping and stop fast switch abuses for realistic centered players (like me).
I will would use the mod just for this :D