More varied dungeons

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
hannafamilycomputer

More varied dungeons

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

Not sure if it is possible, just a concept.

Some mods have replaced models with better looking ones (like viewtopic.php?f=27&t=583)

Would it be possible to do the same thing with dungeon blocks?

If new blocks were created for specific dungeon types, the locations would be more varied and each dungeon type would feel unique.

For example:
A new dungeon block called "Lava Pits" replaces the dungeon block "Towers with bridges" if dungeon type = "dragonling lair". However, if dungeon type = "scorpion nest", it will still use the "Towers with bridges" block.

Jay_H

Re: More varied dungeons

Post by Jay_H »

We've discussed it in the past, and some people are now modeling new dungeon blocks. I don't know when any will be released, but the work has begun.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

After being really made aware of how the dungeons are strongly defined and named, I've been pretty exasperated by how they all look the same inside. Why doesn't Natural Cave just use cave modules?!

So OPs idea here is actually intriguing. We have mods that replace the wall textures. Would it be possible to combine this with a mod has several sets of textures for the same wall models, that detects the type of dungeon you are in and just select an appropriate set of textures to replace the original with?
This seems doable. Not changing the architecture, but just the wall textures.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:46 pm After being really made aware of how the dungeons are strongly defined and named, I've been pretty exasperated by how they all look the same inside. Why doesn't Natural Cave just use cave modules?!

So OPs idea here is actually intriguing. We have mods that replace the wall textures. Would it be possible to combine this with a mod has several sets of textures for the same wall models, that detects the type of dungeon you are in and just select an appropriate set of textures to replace the original with?
This seems doable. Not changing the architecture, but just the wall textures.
The dungeons are built with 'sets' of models. Each of those sets could be made unique (model or texture wise) but it's a big undertaking, we're talking about more than 700 models. DFU also has the dungeon texture settings (the Climate, Classic, etc) so those would override even a mod I think.

As for turning Natural Caves into actual caves etc. it comes down to constructing new dungeon blocks, having to replace locations and making those locations use the new blocks. Most of what Hanna proposes is currently possible except for swapping dungeon blocks based on the dungeon type, that would need a different system for dungeons which is also definitely mod territory.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, what I'm thinking of is basically what DREAM is doing now. Except instead of prettier textures, it's just dungeon-appropriate textures. Then you have a script that selects which set of textures to use based on dungeon type.

The cave stuff I understand is much harder. And more of a project for modeling new dungeons.