Classic Enhanched Sky

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Classic Enhanched Sky

Post by Ralzar »

Playing DFU without DREAM etc but using stuff like increased view range and Mountains&Hills leads to a problem of two sub-par options:

1: Vanill Daggerfall sky: Often looks terrible because many of the sky picures have hills with trees that are completely wrong on size.

2: Enhanched Sky. Looks too good when combined with the low-resolution Daggerfall graphics.

So.. a mod that changes the original Daggerfall sky images with "cleaner" version that are just a low-res sky without the drawn hills in the distance?

DigitalMonk

Re: Classic Enhanched Sky

Post by DigitalMonk »

Classic sky also has some parallax issues that may never go away... Would also be interesting to see a "retro mode" slider on Enhanced Sky. Basically, do the same thing that DFU core does: Do all the work for Enhanced Sky, but only render it to a 320x200 or 640x400 (quality*) texture, and then use that as the sky.

*I realize the sky textures are much wider for wraparound, which is why I say 320x200 "quality", even if the real image would be 1920x200 or something like that...

Heck, it would be pretty nice to get Enhanced Sky to work with DFU core's existing retro modes...

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Absolutely this! The nauseating parallax issues with the vanilla sky are the only thing that keeps me using Enhanced Sky, and therefore NOT using Classic Mode rendering. I'm not sure what causes the problem, but if it could be looked into, that would be great!

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

100% agree that something like this would be great.

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

As to why one would want this, quite simply the vanilla sky box makes me nauseous. It doesn't move right. Enhanced Sky moves "properly" and doesn't make me dizzy.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Same, but I remember this was discussed and It appeared to be a very hard to solve issue.
Believe it or not, its movement is already improved over vanilla..

I really hope the movement can be corrected, its hard to believe such a thing cant be dealt with, when basically whole Daggerfall has been already remade :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hah, I didn't even think about the movement. I just don't want gigantic pine trees on the horizon :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yup that looks strange indeed, not easy to solve issue as well :X

Making those backgrounds anew in all its variants is a big task, its over 1000 images.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am Yup that looks strange indeed, not easy to solve issue as well :X

Making those backgrounds anew in all its variants is a big task, its over 1000 images.
What? Daaamn, I had no idea.

So what does Enhached Sky do? Makes saome kind of 3D dome that dynamically changes? Maybe possible to make a low-res 3D dome? :D