Suggestion: Sound Effect for EVERYTHING Mod.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
EyeBeat

Suggestion: Sound Effect for EVERYTHING Mod.

Post by EyeBeat »

I had an idea for a mod though I am assuming it would be incredibly hard to implement into DFU. If not downright impossible.

I want to apologize first for the fact I have no time or talent to work on this idea. But it is an idea that maybe someone else might find interesting.

Here is my idea:

Basis - To make high/low rolls or successes/fails have a sound effect. Expand the sound effects. Enhance the players experience using a variety of sound effects.

This idea could be applied to swings. For example if you miss with a swing you get the "whif" sound effect right now. However I would like to extend this to if you crit it makes a sound effect relative to your weapon type whereas right now it is just a regular hit sound. If you hit but it is a low roll it makes a sound effect based on your weapon type whereas there is no different sound as of right now. If you hit and it is a high roll but not an actual crit it makes a sound effect based on your weapon type. Ect...

This idea can be applied to other things using ambient sound effects. For instance as far as conversation is concerned. If you miss a roll trying to get information it plays an ambient back round noise for a split second telling the player they rolled low. (I am not entirely sure how this works in daggerfall).

For the language skills it would be cool if a sound activated letting you know when and if they failed or succeeded.

Keep in mind when I say sound it does not have to be an incredibly loud sound. It could just be a back round ambient sound that you can identify if you are listening closely.

What I think a mod like this would do is make playing Daggerfall more satisfying especially for those that have been playing it for the past (20?) years. Having sounds represent actions in the game give the player immediate feed back on what happened with their actions rather than reading or seeing. Also brings a satisfying experience to the player hearing for example an ax critting on a lich. Or maybe a back stab on a Dragonling. OR walking into a room of centaurs and automatically knowing some of them are pacified.

This is just an idea I came up with and I have no idea myself if something like this ever could be implemented. Thanks for reading.

pango

Re: Suggestion: Sound Effect for EVERYTHING Mod.

Post by pango »

I'm all for more combat feedback, be it audio, visual, or text; Daggerfall Unity will probably need more hooks/delegates first so that mods can just be triggered by combat events...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Having a sound effect for more things could be possible, after all the new version of the base game just added sounds when hitting world geometry (missing the enemy and hitting the wall). Adding a sound for everything, and even more every combination of possibilities, like hearing specifically an axe specifically critting specifically a lich, is not possible. Not just technically from the ability to add sounds but logistically from the amount of combinations one would need to consider. You wouldn't even be able to store that many sounds in a reasonable amount of disk space, let alone recording all of them.

It would be nice, tho, to have "light, medium, and heavy" attacks, a volume or pitch shift for crits, and a separate "light, medium, and heavy" being hit sound. Axe critting a lich would then just be "Heavy Attack * Pitch, Light Armor Strike"

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

This would be awesome!