Suggestion: Rebalence Magic

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Bastian_5

Suggestion: Rebalence Magic

Post by Bastian_5 »

Being a pure mage is nonviable , to the point where ditching magery entirely actually can easily make you OP. I feel like a re-balancing is needed to make it so that magic is more than a sometimes useful trick. I would suggest two things.
First: make "regenerate MP" a trait similar to regen HP(and while you're at it Fatigue as well, as that one makes the least sense not to exist). It is logically inconsistent to say that the only way to regain MP is to sleep, but then I can just wait 3 minutes and have the arrow to my face completely heal. This really only benefits pure mages, as nobody else would take the trait, and balancing it just would take some fiddling around with speed and cost.
Second:make it so that failed spells cost less MP. Swinging a weapon costs little fatigue, so missing is somewhere between OK and frustrating . Casting a spell can take away 1/10th -1/2 of your damned spell points, so missing with a spell is invariably infuriating.
Please, I just want to be able to get out of privateer's hold as a pure mage without having to either sacrifice my children to RN Jesus or sprint past every enemy after the first rat.
Last edited by Bastian_5 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACNAero

Re: Suggestion: Rebalence Magic

Post by ACNAero »

For what it's worth, a work-in-progress Magicka regen mod exists. You can edit it's settings to make it as fast or slow as you want.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1653

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Spell Absorbtion(General)+Area At Range Spells=Infinite Spellcasting.
Edit: If you didn't know, you can absorb your own spells.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Allthough it doesn’t fix everything, note that in the newest build it is mouch easie r to rest util healed without being interrupted by monsters.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:02 am Allthough it doesn’t fix everything, note that in the newest build it is mouch easie r to rest util healed without being interrupted by monsters.
This! In newest build i quite often like to take Rapid Healing Advantage. Combine that with high medical and you recover Hp/Mp really fast.

TheYellowDart

Post by TheYellowDart »

Bastian_5 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:19 am Being a pure mage is nonviable , to the point where ditching magery entirely actually can easily make you OP.
Hard disagree on this one. A pure mage is far and away the most broken character I've ever played. Privateer's Hold is a big pain but that's where the challenge ends - and in fact I'd say 90% of the challenge in PH is only because Shock isn't a very good spell.

As soon as you get out and can get access to the Mages' Guild (and more specifically the spellmaker), the world is your oyster. Get a couple levels under your belt and you're a walking god of death, smiting Vampire Ancients and Archliches like they were Rats.

So you could maybe mod the starting Destruciton spell to something that's a bit more mana-efficient and reliable to make PH easier, but Mage most definitely does not need more than that.

What I would like to see is rebalancing between the schools. Illusion in particular is impressively sparse with only four different spell effects, three of which are just different versions of the same effect. I'd also like to tweak the way magic skills work once they're higher than 100 - right now it makes all spells have the same minimum cost of 5 mana, which means you can spam a spell that does 100 damage plus 100 damage/level for 60 rounds/level - i.e. instantly kill everything. It'd be nicer if instead going above 100 would continue to scale spell costs down linearly instead, keep things a bit more sane.

(Given that the mana cost of the spell in spellmaker is shown to be a negative value I wonder if it's an overflow error).

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

If magic users could start out with a magic item that would help.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

jayhova wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:36 pm If magic users could start out with a magic item that would help.
Oh yeah. Just a Staff with a ranged destruction magic spell would fix pretty much everything.