Taking ideas from other games.... Wizardry 7

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
EyeBeat

Taking ideas from other games.... Wizardry 7

Post by EyeBeat »

I want to apologize first for the fact I have no time or talent to work on this idea. But it is an idea that maybe someone else might find interesting.

Am I the only one that thinks that Daggerfall or other games can take some queues from Wizardry 7. Wizardry 7 like Daggerfall was a very ambitious project that had many NPC groups trying to achieve the same thing as the player.

Other groups or players are trying to achieve the main quest that you are trying to accomplish. The fact that you can wait too long and have to retrieve whatever item you are looking for that is missing from the usual place it is from that group or NPC?

The player has to keep up with what is going on in the back round in order to complete the main quest. Keep tabs on what is going on.
Maybe even make it so the player lets that group win the main quest and you begin a new quest to usurp that power from that group or npc. Different conditions depending on who it falls too.

It would make the game feel more like a living breathing world. Maybe actions and decisions that the player makes would influence who gets that certain thing done.

It is all about making this game feel like a living breathing world. I think implementing something like this would be a great idea and maybe possibly making reputations that the player builds while playing the game influences these actions.

You think a modder could make something like this in DFU given the major NPC players that play a part in DF?

It is a cool idea to make for what I believe more replay value. Though I have no idea how it could be implemented. Maybe using time stamps?

Another way... It is all about making this game feel like a living breathing world. I think implementing something like this would be a great idea and maybe possibly making reputations that the player builds while playing the game influences these actions.

Just an idea. And word up to any Wizardry 7 fans on this forum!

BadLuckBurt

Re: Taking ideas from other games.... Wizardry 7

Post by BadLuckBurt »

It's an interesting idea and might be possible if you rewrite the main quest scripts to at least simulate other parties finishing an objective before you do. It would be a massive undertaking to account for all possible things that could happen and maintaining a fair balance between the player and his 'opponents'. It would be funny as hell to run into NPCs in a dungeon doing the same quest as you are but that would require some crazy AI to be put into place and how do you make an AI navigate a Daggerfall dungeon?

I think Julien mentioned in his interview with IndigoGaming from a while back that something like that was initially planned, having NPCs 'compete' against you in the background. A very crappy version of this wound up in the game when you go to a quest giver and they claim to have given the job to someone else which is just an immersive way of saying solly, timer expired.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt