Appropriate Starting Equipment

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Re: Appropriate Starting Equipment

Post by Ralzar »

I’m pretty sure you can loose your spellbook. Back in original DF you were then screwed as there was no opion to buy a new one.

L57

Post by L57 »

Dubiousintent wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:24 pm How? Just put "Missing" or "water soaked and illegible" or a blank page into the contents in place of any spells. No different than having a Inventory button that displays nothing because you do not have the appropriate items.
Well of course you can justify it this way, but it feels very awkward gameplay-wise to me, given the fact that later you are able to preserve this spellbook (and any book) under any harsh circumstances. Ok, you might say it's rather a matter of gameplay simplicity, but there is another consideration: shouldn't pure-mage PC remember spells after many years of practicing, after all? Isn't spellbook just a simple reminder from an in-game/Lore perpective?

But then again...
Back in original DF you were then screwed as there was no opion to buy a new one.
we're definitely going to open Pandora's box with topic like this, haha. Have to check if this still holds in DFU

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:35 am
Dubiousintent wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:24 pm How? Just put "Missing" or "water soaked and illegible" or a blank page into the contents in place of any spells. No different than having a Inventory button that displays nothing because you do not have the appropriate items.
Well of course you can justify it this way, but it feels very awkward gameplay-wise to me, given the fact that later you are able to preserve this spellbook (and any book) under any harsh circumstances. Ok, you might say it's rather a matter of gameplay simplicity, but there is another consideration: shouldn't pure-mage PC remember spells after many years of practicing, after all? Isn't spellbook just a simple reminder from an in-game/Lore perpective?

But then again...
Back in original DF you were then screwed as there was no opion to buy a new one.
we're definitely going to open Pandora's box with topic like this, haha. Have to check if this still holds in DFU
I think one of the patches applied to Daggerfallsetup.exe fixed it by having the magical item shop in the mages guild sell a spellbook.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I'm starting to see the possiblity of makign this mod. We'll see later today.

Hopefully I can then also wipe the spellbook and give the character a set of new spells based on skills. From an old thread about this, I found my suggested starting spells. They would be pretty low-cost spells that would work decently as trainer spells as well.

Heal Bruise (Small heal)
Gentle Fall (Short Slowfall)
Arcane Shot (Small magical ranged attack.)
Candle (Short duration Light)
Silver Tongue (Lower effect or duration Tongues)
Rise (Short duration Levitate)

communityus

Post by communityus »

All for this. Yes the starting stuff is bad.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ok, getting close to something here.

The mod now checks all Primary and Major skills and assigns items based on each skill.
The plan now is to make it check all 3 primaries, 2 highest major and highest minor. And make the items for Primary best. For example, making weapons from Primary Steel instead of Iron, and adding more items per primary skill.

The only exception is magic schools. I've yet to look at how to add/remove spells.

communityus

Post by communityus »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:41 pm The mod now checks all Primary and Major skills and assigns items based on each skill.
This is good, sounds like this way it will work with custom classes as well or even modded default class types as it doesn't care about the class type but looks at the lower skills used to decide.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Skill based starting equipment and spells will be modules of the Loot Realism mod after the next release of DFU. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Dubiousintent

Post by Dubiousintent »

Hoorah! Looking forward to it.