[Feature request] Right-click to dismiss pop-up texts

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Silence

[Feature request] Right-click to dismiss pop-up texts

Post by Silence »

Often I accidentally click-dismiss a pop-up parchment note when in the middle of a combat or quest. I started requesting for a mod for this, but we came to the conclusion it is rather a bug -- it stems from me having activated the «Click to attack» option in DFU.

The idea would be that when the player chooses that option, those parchments should be dismissed by right-clicking rather than left-clicking.

Alternatives were considered (having an «ok» or «read» button instead of random clicks, or a delay), but they seem obtrusive.
It'd be also nice to have the text from those pop-ups logged into the «Messages» section of the notebook, as other ephemeral messages (such as «Loading game», etc) are.
Many knights Silence unsat / from the saddle, with her lance / Had they known truth as it was / that the one who made'm fall / possessed naught of being male / but the skill and tools of trade! / Livid witnesses they'd be / of Nurture's triumph over Birth

BansheeXYZ

Re: Right-click to dismiss pop-up texts

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Enabling "click to attack" doesn't change the default binding of attack, which is right-click. And it's an appropriate default considering the frequency of using or talking vs attacking. The only way you are having this issue is if you swapped your attack binding with your activate binding in the controls screen.

pango

Post by pango »

I think it should be moved to Mods & Features General with "[Feature request]" added to the title
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:14 pmAnd it's an appropriate default considering the frequency of using or talking vs attacking.
Speak for yourself, I've had left click for attacking and right click for interacting my entire life; pacifist playstyles just aren't my thing unless I'm playing Thief.

I +1 this idea. I've had to reload games a few times because of this issue.

Silence

Post by Silence »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:14 pm Enabling "click to attack" doesn't change the default binding of attack, which is right-click. And it's an appropriate default considering the frequency of using or talking vs attacking. The only way you are having this issue is if you swapped your attack binding with your activate binding in the controls screen.
Well, to talk I hit spacebar, so I don't really ever use the RMB. :D
But it any case, it does make sense that if someone remaps the activate binding to something else, that should affect the pop-ups too, doesn't it?
Meaning, in my case, that I should be able to dismiss them by hitting spacebar.
Many knights Silence unsat / from the saddle, with her lance / Had they known truth as it was / that the one who made'm fall / possessed naught of being male / but the skill and tools of trade! / Livid witnesses they'd be / of Nurture's triumph over Birth

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Silence wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:43 pm
BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:14 pm Enabling "click to attack" doesn't change the default binding of attack, which is right-click. And it's an appropriate default considering the frequency of using or talking vs attacking. The only way you are having this issue is if you swapped your attack binding with your activate binding in the controls screen.
Well, to talk I hit spacebar, so I don't really ever use the RMB. :D
But it any case, it does make sense that if someone remaps the activate binding to something else, that should affect the pop-ups too, doesn't it?
Meaning, in my case, that I should be able to dismiss them by hitting spacebar.
What do you use for jump then?

mikeprichard

Re: [Feature request] Right-click to dismiss pop-up texts

Post by mikeprichard »

Unless I'm missing something, the current "Activate Center Object" control binding - the "right-click" vs. "left-click" / "click to attack" discussion being irrelevant - should always dismiss these pop-ups in base DFU. Anything else sounds like a bug, or at least extremely inconvenient/illogical behavior.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

mikeprichard wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:09 pm Unless I'm missing something, the current "Activate Center Object" control binding - the "right-click" vs. "left-click" / "click to attack" discussion being irrelevant - should always dismiss these pop-ups in base DFU. Anything else sounds like a bug, or at least extremely inconvenient/illogical behavior.
I have to agree. Having popups hardcoded to close on left-click seems strange. It would be much more intuitive to have it close on Activate Center Object?

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 pm
mikeprichard wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:09 pm Unless I'm missing something, the current "Activate Center Object" control binding - the "right-click" vs. "left-click" / "click to attack" discussion being irrelevant - should always dismiss these pop-ups in base DFU. Anything else sounds like a bug, or at least extremely inconvenient/illogical behavior.
I have to agree. Having popups hardcoded to close on left-click seems strange. It would be much more intuitive to have it close on Activate Center Object?
I'm down with that. I don't use MMB enough as it is.

Silence

Post by Silence »

Yes, that is the point.
I would appreciate if someone could verify the bug, because right now I'm doubting myself (or rather, my keybinding setup) and I don't have DFU at hand. Also, peer review, and that.
Helegad wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:33 pm What do you use for jump then?
If you are curious — <E>