Autosave upon new character creation

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Post Reply
Alley_Cat_Jack
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:40 pm

Autosave upon new character creation

Post by Alley_Cat_Jack » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:45 pm

I have to admit, I sometimes to forget to save right after character creation and have lost my character due to bad rolls in combat in the first couple rooms.

While vets know to save right after rolling a new character, this may not be obvious to new comers to the game. Having the game do a quick save after character creation would definitely be a nice feature.

Keep up the good work. Loving the new engine.

User avatar
pango
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Autosave upon new character creation

Post by pango » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Welcome to the forums Alley_Cat_Jack!

Yup, suggested that much myself about a year ago...

I'm not sure what's the best way to go though, automatically save ASAP, or to very soon tell the player how to (quick)save.
I can see little drawbacks to automatic saving (just that it means every new character, no matter how ill created, will immediately find their way in your list of characters in saves). On the other hand telling how to save may be both less heavy handed, and potentially more useful.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Autosave upon new character creation

Post by Ralzar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 pm

There are a lot of DFU players that never discover F9/F12 for QuickSave/Quickload.

Maybe a text message on start of game would be appropriate? Or an addition to the tutorial?

Also, maybe just automatically create a quicksave when the character is created and appears in Privateers Hold?
My released mods

"I feel like Ralzar specifically wrote those mods for me and then said "Use them". Just so he could watch me die more."
-FuzzyBeanPlays

User avatar
pango
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Autosave upon new character creation

Post by pango » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:37 pm

Ralzar wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 pm
There are a lot of DFU players that never discover F9/F12 for QuickSave/Quickload.

Maybe a text message on start of game would be appropriate? Or an addition to the tutorial?
... it is in the tutorial for over a year now :lol:
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Autosave upon new character creation

Post by Ralzar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:11 pm

pango wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:37 pm
Ralzar wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 pm
There are a lot of DFU players that never discover F9/F12 for QuickSave/Quickload.

Maybe a text message on start of game would be appropriate? Or an addition to the tutorial?
... it is in the tutorial for over a year now :lol:
Really? Well, then I have no longer have any pity for people who have not read the tutorial! :D


I am actually trying to figure out a mod for starting equipment at the moment. So I'm trying to find a way to run a method at the start of the game. I'm having the hardest time figuring it out though. I'm looking at Ironman Systemscode, but that does so many crazy things I can't figure it out.
Anyway, if I get that up and running, it would be pretty easy to make a mod that just did a save after startup.
My released mods

"I feel like Ralzar specifically wrote those mods for me and then said "Use them". Just so he could watch me die more."
-FuzzyBeanPlays

User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Autosave upon new character creation

Post by Ralzar » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:31 am

Alley_Cat_Jack wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:45 pm
I have to admit, I sometimes to forget to save right after character creation and have lost my character due to bad rolls in combat in the first couple rooms.

While vets know to save right after rolling a new character, this may not be obvious to new comers to the game. Having the game do a quick save after character creation would definitely be a nice feature.

Keep up the good work. Loving the new engine.
Here you go! :)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3395
My released mods

"I feel like Ralzar specifically wrote those mods for me and then said "Use them". Just so he could watch me die more."
-FuzzyBeanPlays

Post Reply