Luck Attribute

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
L57

Luck Attribute

Post by L57 »

It's sad that Luck reduced in Daggerfall simply to parameter which influences your chance to hit. Just like another Critical strike skill or something. I suggest to make a mod such that Luck has a minor (very minor) effect on the majority of activities where probability factors clearly matter.

There are basically two different possible takes on this, in my opinion:

1) Luck mechanics follows (not too strictly, but still) the understanding of favorable event in the sense of probability theory. Hence in shouldn't affect loot at all, but it should affect repeatable actions in (more or less) similar conditions.

This includes dodging, lockpicking, climbing, some spellcasting stuff, probably something else... Being a 'jack-of-all-trades' attribute its positive effect should be limited though. Kind of a thin layer of butter spread on a large loaf of bread.

2) On the other hand, it's interesting to implement this from the completely opposite perspective - meaning that you're lucky in the everyday sense.

To avoid punishment in court, to get some really unique loot one day, to have lesser chance to encounter an enemy while resting are the first things that comes to mind. Maybe some other options that are not directly governed by attributes and skills?

Hazelnut

Re: Luck Attribute

Post by Hazelnut »

What if luck were to grant -5..+5 to all skills? So 45-55 luck is 0 and 100 luck is +5 bonus to all skill checks and zero luck is -5.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

L57

Post by L57 »

Personally I'd like something more nuanced than straightforward solution like this. Perhaps to add Luck into the language skills formulas to pacify enemies or to make an enemy spawn chance while resting depending on Luck.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Luck already affects pacification chance if you use Archaeologists guild mod: -10..+10
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods