Timescale to 1

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
NikitaTheTanner

Re: Timescale to 1

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

I actually think a one-to-one timescale would be a great feature, or at least some way to configure it and save the setting. The world of Daggerfall is quite comparable to our world in size, and I don't think that it requires a significant timescale alteration, unlike later TES games, which all have a rather minuscule world in comparison.

Another thing that would be great - add some time passing to various actions, like dialogues, picking up items, reading books, etc. Some can be real time (like the books), others can be just a small progression of time (a few minutes here and there) - I think this would increase immersion, especially when you spend the day shopping or talking to people. Since time is important in Daggerfall (quests have deadlines) - it will make you think twice before wasting time on some of the activities in the world.

JaceyLessThan3

Post by JaceyLessThan3 »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 am I'd consider adding this as a setting in Roleplay & Realism if you thoroughly test out the effect on all the game systems for any weirdness and post results here. I'd want to be confident that it doesn't break stuff first. I theory the main impact I can think of is on quest spawns that are defined to happen every x minutes... pretty sure that's game time, and since that will be running 12 times slower the spawns may come too infrequently etc.
I am currently playing with Timescale set to 1, so I will let you know if I witness any weirdness!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I agree, having realistic time scale would be nice. I don't know how hard it would be to hook into those quests code wise and fix the spawn to adjust with time scale changes, but that would be the first way to fix that balance issue.

Also, for dialogue taking time, I think having time not stop while doing actions or dialogue is a better, immersive approach versus moving time a set amount.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

11th_defender

Post by 11th_defender »

JaceyLessThan3 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:30 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 am I'd consider adding this as a setting in Roleplay & Realism if you thoroughly test out the effect on all the game systems for any weirdness and post results here. I'd want to be confident that it doesn't break stuff first. I theory the main impact I can think of is on quest spawns that are defined to happen every x minutes... pretty sure that's game time, and since that will be running 12 times slower the spawns may come too infrequently etc.
I am currently playing with Timescale set to 1, so I will let you know if I witness any weirdness!
This discussion hasn't been updated in a long while, but did you notice anything strange about playing with timescale to 1?

ruthan

Post by ruthan »

I would love to use it, but if it mess with spells and other things is bad.. It just bad developer design, real duration of game days should be in independent on other game logic.. its should be more robust independent on other game logic, just a bit more daylight / longer nights. Im unsure why developers have so much problems to make 1 more variable for normal ticks.. and not make things dependent on duration of game days. Especially when 12 is just some made up magic value from thin air.

Also if it prolong spawning enemies times in kills rats in my house it would be annoying. I like longer days less pressure with all these quests with time limits..

So if someone would really do good mod for this, he has to check all usage of original value.. and adjust it, it would be much more work..
It still need a bit qualityOfLife not yet done mods,more 3D models props(in HandmadeMod), 3D enemies not colliding with walls + some alternative Hexen 2 like hack&slash dance mod and it would be a dream. I played Ultima0+, but i know what i want :D

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Many things in the game are based on timescale walking and running speed among them. In another recent post, I pointed out that this can be tested as the real-time to cross the map is 70 hrs and this works out to 35 days with the timescale. This is about the amount of time someone could cross the map IRL. This might be a bit different due to the amount of sleep a real person would need.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.