Timescale to 1

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Laicus

Timescale to 1

Post by Laicus »

Is it possible to slow down the game time? In Morrowind, I always set timescale to 1.

pango

Re: Timescale to 1

Post by pango »

Hi, there's a

Code: Select all

set_timescale
command in the console.
That could have impact on game balance, say someone reported that he was flooded by ghosts attacks in Daggerfall City with high timescale, I assume that on the contrary lowering timescale could make enemy spawns less aggressive.
I'm curious, if you experiment with that, let us know how it went :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

pango wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:59 am Hi, there's a

Code: Select all

set_timescale
command in the console.
Oh, thank you so much!
It seems to me that the original also had this console command and I even played with it for a while, it seems there were problems with waiting for some NPCs, but I can be wrong, I played a lot of time ago and not for long, and then decided to wait for the playable version of DFU and finally waited. Now I need to figure out how to make simple gameplay mods, such as changing settings to fit the game as much as possible to my preferences. I wonder if when changing timescale, fast travel takes the same amount of game time or less? In Morrowind, this is regulated by a separate setting.

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

The Timescale value is not saved in the save (as in subsequent Bethesda games), and every time after loading the save, I have to set it again, It's not good, I urgently need a mod. :)

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

Please help! How do I make a mod that automatically executes the set_timescale 1 command after loading a save or starting a new game?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'd consider adding this as a setting in Roleplay & Realism if you thoroughly test out the effect on all the game systems for any weirdness and post results here. I'd want to be confident that it doesn't break stuff first. I theory the main impact I can think of is on quest spawns that are defined to happen every x minutes... pretty sure that's game time, and since that will be running 12 times slower the spawns may come too infrequently etc.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

What does setting timescale to 1 even do? And what is it normally set at?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

12 and it governs the ratio of real time to in game time.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 am I'd consider adding this as a setting in Roleplay & Realism if you thoroughly test out the effect on all the game systems for any weirdness and post results here.
OK, I'm playing with this value (it's a pity that I don't have enough free time), if I notice any oddities, I'll write.
The only problem is that I have played Daggerfall very little and do not know how certain events should happen, so I can just not notice if something goes wrong. :)

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 am I'd consider adding this as a setting in Roleplay & Realism if you thoroughly test out the effect on all the game systems for any weirdness and post results here. I'd want to be confident that it doesn't break stuff first. I theory the main impact I can think of is on quest spawns that are defined to happen every x minutes... pretty sure that's game time, and since that will be running 12 times slower the spawns may come too infrequently etc.
As of lately I have been playing with my timescale set to 24 or 30, as I feel like the timer for most quests is a little too generous. I haven't really noticed anything gamebreaking. Quests that spawn enemies every x minutes get a lot more manageable with lower timescales and harder with higher timescales, C&C drains your stamina a lot faster while travelling with a higher timescale, etc, but so far I haven't noticed any weird or unexpected behavior yet. It's still something that players should do at our own risk and definitely not stray too much from the vanilla value. Setting it to 1 would definitely completely destroy the difficulty of any quest that spawns enemies every x minutes.

I'd still love it if there was some sort of timescale adjuster mod, as it's kind of annoying to open up the console to change the timescale. Maybe even something like that New Vegas mod that lets you define different timescales for different kinds of places (e.g. if you want time to pass in a realistic or semi-realistic way while in cities, but pass faster in the wilderness to simulate more believable travel times)
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0