Texture addon that just adds normal maps?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
King of Worms

Re: Texture addon that just adds normal maps?

Post by King of Worms »

socuciustarkus wrote: ↑Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:45 pm
King of Worms wrote: ↑Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:38 pm Perfect! Do you use the unity inspector to set up the normals? You can set the intensity of the normal map there
Nah that's too complicated for me, since I assume you have to adjust everything by hand. I use an aptly named program called normal map generator. There are around 10,000 textures in daggerfall, there's no way I'm doing it all by hand lol
https://github.com/Theverat/NormalmapGenerator
I think its more like 1000 but I get you 😊
On the other hand its a work for 1 afternoon and it will allow you more control and options. You can set the reflectivity of materials and also add more texture layers, like height maps, which work with normal maps and together they create that full 3d effect.. it will also make the mod more optimized in terms of performance etc.. plus its than easy to just click and create a dfmod package from it.. πŸ˜‰

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:07 pm I think its more like 1000 but I get you 😊
On the other hand its a work for 1 afternoon and it will allow you more control and options. You can set the reflectivity of materials and also add more texture layers, like height maps, which work with normal maps and together they create that full 3d effect.. it will also make the mod more optimized in terms of performance etc.. plus its than easy to just click and create a dfmod package from it.. πŸ˜‰
There's over 1000 terrain/model textures iirc and then another 9000 sprites. I just have no quick way to distinguish them, but this evening I'll get to work excluding sprites and manually working on height mapping, normal mapping and specular mapping some specific textures. I'm gonna be honest tho, idek how to use the unity stuff or put things into a .dfmod package lol.

On a side note, do normal maps even work on enemy and world object sprites?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

No, normal maps do not work on sprites, enemies etc, just on textures... there are 1082 used textures.
I know it as I remade em all.

Here are the materials of all of them, that will show you the archive numbers you should focus on
Materials.rar
(839.27 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Creating materials in the editor is easy... when u know how to do it. When ppl tryed to expain it to me, I nearly destroyed my PC in frustration tho :X After someone send me a video with the process, I saw how simple it is. But I dont have that video.

Making DFMOD is easy as well. Few clicks.

Not sure how to help you at the moment :X

If you are interrested in doing it the proper way, and creating the materials, let me know and I will make some tutorial for you. Its fast and simple. Its a task for one day. Maybe less

EDIT: saw you PM after I wrote this reply... :D

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am No, normal maps do not work on sprites, enemies etc, just on textures... there are 1082 used textures.
I know it as I remade em all.

Here are the materials of all of them, that will show you the archive numbers you should focus on
Materials.rar

Creating materials in the editor is easy... when u know how to do it. When ppl tryed to expain it to me, I nearly destroyed my PC in frustration tho :X After someone send me a video with the process, I saw how simple it is. But I dont have that video.

Making DFMOD is easy as well. Few clicks.

Not sure how to help you at the moment :X

If you are interrested in doing it the proper way, and creating the materials, let me know and I will make some tutorial for you. Its fast and simple. Its a task for one day. Maybe less

EDIT: saw you PM after I wrote this reply... :D
Creating .mats for each of the textures seems like too much work. I think I'll just create .mat files for stuff that would have specularity, like water, marble, and some bricks

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Maybe if I export the mats I have, you import them to unity and than overwrite the textures it might work... I have all the mats done. You would just need to have the same folder structure, which is doable I guess... thinking about it, the folder structure will be created automatically by importing the package, so you just overwrite the albedo, normals etc. Than you will have to double check the mats, some will have some additional textures and settings (roughness etc) which you do not want, still it should save you quite some work. Its up to you

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:28 pm Maybe if I export the mats I have, you import them to unity and than overwrite the textures it might work... I have all the mats done. You would just need to have the same folder structure, which is doable I guess... thinking about it, the folder structure will be created automatically by importing the package, so you just overwrite the albedo, normals etc. Than you will have to double check the mats, some will have some additional textures and settings (roughness etc) which you do not want, still it should save you quite some work. Its up to you
I'm good for now, thanks. Right now I'm just having trouble exporting a .dfmod. I have the tools installed but whenever I click the button to create the dfmod and I select the location, I get the following error:
Asset not found:
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:BuildMod() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:529)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:<OnGUI>b__26_4() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:387)
DaggerfallWorkshop.GUILayoutHelper:Horizontal(VoidDelegate) (at Assets/Scripts/Editor/GUILayoutHelper.cs:55)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:376)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

socuciustarkus wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 pm
King of Worms wrote: ↑Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:28 pm Maybe if I export the mats I have, you import them to unity and than overwrite the textures it might work... I have all the mats done. You would just need to have the same folder structure, which is doable I guess... thinking about it, the folder structure will be created automatically by importing the package, so you just overwrite the albedo, normals etc. Than you will have to double check the mats, some will have some additional textures and settings (roughness etc) which you do not want, still it should save you quite some work. Its up to you
I'm good for now, thanks. Right now I'm just having trouble exporting a .dfmod. I have the tools installed but whenever I click the button to create the dfmod and I select the location, I get the following error:
Asset not found:
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:BuildMod() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:529)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:<OnGUI>b__26_4() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:387)
DaggerfallWorkshop.GUILayoutHelper:Horizontal(VoidDelegate) (at Assets/Scripts/Editor/GUILayoutHelper.cs:55)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.CreateModEditorWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Editor/CreateModEditorWindow.cs:376)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
Hi. This means you have an empty asset path in the list of assets. Select it and and click "Remove Selected Asset(s)" to fix the issue.

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

TheLacus wrote: ↑Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:11 pm Hi. This means you have an empty asset path in the list of assets. Select it and and click "Remove Selected Asset(s)" to fix the issue.
Thanks for the feedback. You were right, there was an empty asset path in the list. It turned out I had stored the assets in the wrong directory, and every time I'd build the mod it'd add an empty path. I moved them to assets\streamingassets\textures and the mod successfully built. Except now, the game just doesn't recognize the dfmod. I put the built dfmod into streamingassets\mods where I have the game installed, but when I launched the game and went to the mod menu, there was nothing there. Sorry if I'm just completely missing something obvious