Dungeon Variety

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Amoureux

Dungeon Variety

Post by Amoureux »

So I've playing Daggerfall Unity for a while, and I have some love hate feelings towards this game, there's still something about it that still brings me back in to play it, so it is doing something right and I do honestly enjoy it, and seeing so many options for modding really makes me happy.

As far as why I made this post, it's because I'd love to propose an idea for a mod that alters the games dungeons. Right now they are pretty much my least favorite part about this game. I usually love going into dungeons and yeah shorter dungeons can be kind of a let down, but they do have a purpose in adding diversity to a game. With how important dungeons seem to be in Daggerfall the fact that pretty much every dungeon is a labyrinth is annoying. I really don't like the map system as it is right now for traversing these dungeons, but maybe I wouldn't mind the larger ones if there was just more variety in general.

Basically what I'd like to see in the future if anyone would be interested would basically be trying to actually have/mod in a way that alters dungeon sizes in this way: Not every dungeon being these large labyrinths of just hallways more hallways and more hallways. Maybe some dungeons are smaller caves? Maybe laboratories actually feel/look like laboratories without all of them needing to be massive? Have some dungeons that are small, have some that medium sized, and of course have the larger normal dungeons mixed in as well. Also would there be a way to make a dungeon not just be a mess of hallways? Maybe have more puzzles in them? Maybe have dungeons include more larger sections than just having maybe 1 large hub in the middle if you are lucky enough to have gotten that one. Just having a different layout would be so cool.

You could also have it so that certain enemies would spawn more in these dungeons, like how in the main quest dungeon where you go see King of Worms, his dungeon is actually filled with more undead than just humanoids or animals, sure there are some, but the fact that the dungeon dealing with the dead has mostly undead in it are cool. Heck I don't even remember running into a werewolf there which is even cooler for theming since there are Vampires frequenting there, it wouldn't make sense you'd have to worry about Werewolves.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, I just would love it if Daggerfalls dungeons felt varied. Honestly, they are one of the biggest problems I have with the game. Like it just feels really boring to play the "okay where do I go now" game, because every dungeon is this labyrinth of hallways, or just hoping that you managed to get lucky and have the item and or NPC you are looking for is actually in one of the newer paths you find, and not just another dead end with no secret doors (Although maybe having dungeons revolve around those would be cool as well and different from other ones).

Anyway, let me know what you think. I think there was a mod that made smaller dungeons, but I don't want all the dungeons to be small, like I don't want them all to be massive hallway styled labyrinths. Having a cool mixture would be great.

pango

Re: Dungeon Variety

Post by pango »

This is similar to a previous request: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3199

But agreed, it's getting hard to track of what was already proposed with 20+ pages of suggestions...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Amoureux

Post by Amoureux »

pango wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:55 am This is similar to a previous request: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3199

But agreed, it's getting hard to track of what was already proposed with 20+ pages of suggestions...
I looked at this for a bit, and it does talk about a bit of what I'd like to see. I did mention about Dungeon textures. I also though am mentioning about making dungeons of different sizes and how they are structured: Having more areas that are large open spaces that allow for you to explore around in, maybe having more puzzles, etc. I'm also proposing more than just texture changes here. I do like the idea though of changing textures to better match the dungeon's name/theme.

pango

Post by pango »

The thread above contains a link to another thread around the idea of new dungeon blocks too:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=684
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Modding the actual dungeons is one of the long-term holy grails of DFU modding. There's a lot that could be done here. There has been some beginning steps but I've yet to see anything materialize as an actual mod.

At the moment I would advice you to try out the SmallerDungeons settings. You'll find it in the ini-file for the game. You might find it to at least be a much more preferable dungeons size for you. Not that it does not affect main quest dungeons. So what is possible the largest and hardest dungeons in the game will stay as they were.

Amoureux

Post by Amoureux »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:15 pm Modding the actual dungeons is one of the long-term holy grails of DFU modding. There's a lot that could be done here. There has been some beginning steps but I've yet to see anything materialize as an actual mod.

At the moment I would advice you to try out the SmallerDungeons settings. You'll find it in the ini-file for the game. You might find it to at least be a much more preferable dungeons size for you. Not that it does not affect main quest dungeons. So what is possible the largest and hardest dungeons in the game will stay as they were.
Ahh fascinating thanks.