Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
carademono

Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Post by carademono »

Ok, I'm sure I'm not the first one with this completely crazy mod idea... but how much work would it take to recreate all of Tamriel in the Daggerfall Unity engine? Is the game map hard-coded, or could it be expanded? What about people and town names? Could new textures, environments, and monster types be imported into the engine? I'm just curious how totally impractical this all would be.

WhiskeyTangoWoodElf

Re: Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Post by WhiskeyTangoWoodElf »

I was thinking about this idea the other day. I think it could be possible. With all the mods out there I'm not seeing any real limiters to the variety of content that could populate other provinces.

I personally think the only issue could be the map: can it be expanded? Can we add in new terrain space and rope in the procedural generation system continent-wide? Would we start hitting seriously weird generation events if we spread the game into that wide a space? I like these questions.

Once we get into full release I know the attempt for a continent-wide map. I am looking forward to roaming Darrgerfall lore accurate Skyrim/Morrowind/Cyradil.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

What procedural generation are you referring to? The game map and all of the locations (15.000+) are static data, you could alter DFU's source code to handle bigger maps but you would have to create new locations too for the rest of Tamriel. And if you don't want it to be a carbon copy of Daggerfall itself, you'll need new sprites, models, exteriors, interiors, quests, dialogue, textures, etc.

The only thing being generated is the finer detail of the terrain mesh and vegetation in the wilderness, the rest is all present in the game's files.

Something like this is 'technically possible' but in practice, I don't see it happening because of the amount of work involved. How long has Tamriel Rebuilt been in development and how many people have worked on that? Then the next question is, how big is the DFU modding community even compared to just those people, not even the TES modding community as a whole.

If you just want to walk about the landscapes of Tamriel (without extra content), that could probably be hacked together but you'd need a heightmap that fits Daggerfall's dimensions since they rotated the map to make it fit better. It still wouldn't be a high detail representation since each Daggerfall map pixel is 800x800 meters of generated terrain.
Daggerfall Unity on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
Daggerfall Unity on Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:51 pm What procedural generation are you referring to? The game map and all of the locations (15.000+) are static data, you could alter DFU's source code to handle bigger maps but you would have to create new locations too for the rest of Tamriel. And if you don't want it to be a carbon copy of Daggerfall itself, you'll need new sprites, models, exteriors, interiors, quests, dialogue, textures, etc.

The only thing being generated is the finer detail of the terrain mesh and vegetation in the wilderness, the rest is all present in the game's files.

Something like this is 'technically possible' but in practice, I don't see it happening because of the amount of work involved. How long has Tamriel Rebuilt been in development and how many people have worked on that? Then the next question is, how big is the DFU modding community even compared to just those people, not even the TES modding community as a whole.

If you just want to walk about the landscapes of Tamriel (without extra content), that could probably be hacked together but you'd need a heightmap that fits Daggerfall's dimensions since they rotated the map to make it fit better. It still wouldn't be a high detail representation since each Daggerfall map pixel is 800x800 meters of generated terrain.
I was under the impression that the world map size couldn't be changed? It would be possible right to recreate Tamriel on a map the size of Daggerfalls map though I believe? Which would still he massive compared to any other tes game.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 am I was under the impression that the world map size couldn't be changed? It would be possible right to recreate Tamriel on a map the size of Daggerfalls map though I believe? Which would still he massive compared to any other tes game.
Not without changes to the code but since DFU source is available, you can make it do whatever you want. Technically, you could change the terrain rendering to the point where you could load Tamriel on a Daggerfall scale into the engine but it's more work than it's worth it.

As for recreating Tamriel on Daggerfall's map:

Daggerfall has a rectangular map (1000x500 pixels), as I said earlier, each map pixel is about 800x800 meters so the entire map is 800km x 400km. If you squeeze Tamriel itself into it, there's either going to be a lot of water or it's going to get stretched. That is ignoring the fact that it will feel even more like a theme-park sized landmass than the later TES games.
Daggerfall Unity on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
Daggerfall Unity on Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt