Enemies Hit Capsule All Same

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
l3lessed

Enemies Hit Capsule All Same

Post by l3lessed »

So, I was working on getting my weapon sparks to generate in logical locations when fighting enemies. At first, I thought I would just grab the enemy hitray info and use that, but original DF doesn't use hitrays at all for enemies; it merely uses an equation to figure if your in attack range and angle with the enemy having an attack ready and then rolls the attack to see if you're hit. So that went out the window.

At this point, I thought, well I can just grab the center point of the capsule/object controller. Well, upon looking at all the enemies, they all have the same capsule controller size. I feel this should be updated to both make more sense from a player stand point and make using enemy sizes for things easier for modders; Why is a rat the same height as a humanoid? I imagine it was largely done to save on memory, which was very limited, and creating a unique hitbox for each one would cost needed memory space. It also made the poor combat feedback system easier to handle by not punishing players for not aiming right at the enemy on their third attack frame. Just keep the mouse aimed in the area of the enemy, and it will register the hit, so you don't get confused if you're hitting or not with the limited and poor feedback system for combat mechanics.

This should be fixed just for basic player sense. I should not be able to hit a rat by aiming clearly a foot above it. It also would make things for modders a bit easier in the future by giving proper capsule size properties, like center. Right now, the center property for the controller seems off because the capsule doesn't size to the sprite/enemy. So, when I use it to create sparks at its location, it works for humanoids, but rats/bats/ect. have it generate a good foot above or below them because of the capsule sizing issue.

So, I imagine this would need to be a mod. Devs wouldn't want this as another added feature to base I take it, even though I feel it kind of is a basic feature the game should have as an upgrade?
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Re: Enemies Hit Capsule All Same

Post by King of Worms »

And here I am crouching to hit the mouse better... believing it works 😂

pango

Post by pango »

Rat capsules are shorter
viewtopic.php?p=38712#p38712

They must not be too short, otherwise player (and enemies) start walking over rats, but they are shorter.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

pango wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:57 pm They must not be too short, otherwise player (and enemies) start walking over rats
Is that supposed to be an issue? :D Sounds like a feature to me

pango

Post by pango »

Kab the Bird Ranger wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:23 pm Is that supposed to be an issue? :D Sounds like a feature to me
You can't do that in classic
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart