Are there any features from other old school RPGs you would like to see in Daggerfall?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Khanog Doombrew

Are there any features from other old school RPGs you would like to see in Daggerfall?

Post by Khanog Doombrew »

First of all want to say a little hello as I just properly joined the forum. Been lurking for months now and thought I'd try to contribute something. Want to also say a quick but massive THANK YOU to the folks around here, from the brilliant Interkarma
for making this whole thing a reality, to all the brilliant modders, and last but not least to everyone who contributes ideas, helps in finding bugs or contributes whatever else to the community and project. You're all truly wonderful!

A thing that's been swirling around in my head for a while now, as it appears it has for others as well, is what sort of features from other RPGs of Daggerfall's era (primarily) could be applied here, with or without some tweaks. I'm not sure just how overly ambitious the concept of this might be, so call this a shot in the dark if thou must.

An idea already mentioned here was to implement a hireling system similar to the one in later Might & Magic games. An explanation is provided in Cliffworms' post on the topic for those unfamiliar with the M&M series (who I urge to remedy that ASAP), so I won't be getting into that, but it's definitely something I would love to see here as well.

Another idea from that same series is aging. Something that to my knowledge never had much of an effect in those games and was more of a background feature, but the gist of it is that your characters age. As they get older their physical stats deteriorate while their mental ones improve. In short, this means that while it might be a good idea to retire that 60 year old Knight, that 80 year old Sorceror might just be reaching his peak. This sort of thing might not really work with Daggerfall's stats system as it is, as it's already quite easy to bring them up to 100 anyway, but perhaps this could at least be food for thought on how to work around that.

Or what of a perks system like in Fallout? One might argue this is already somewhat present with class advantages and disadvantages, but perhaps some might figure out a way to implement something a little more in-depth and exciting. Something to add even more (mechanical) personality to each character, to put it simply. An idea I realize is probably way more ambitious than is healthy, but one I can't stop myself from mentioning either as I do love that sort of thing in character creation.

Things like that. Apologies if this is all utterly unrealistic dribble. I haven't the slightest idea how coding or anything of the sort works so any idea I ever give is likely to be out of the bounds of reality, so I beg you to bear with me. I'm curious though if anyone else has had similar ideas floating around that they maybe want to share, from any game really.

Shapur

Re: Are there any features from other old school RPGs you would like to see in Daggerfall?

Post by Shapur »

Well, it would be really nice, if you could summon daedra or raise corpses to aid you in battle, like you can in for example Skyrim.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

l3lessed

Re: Are there any features from other old school RPGs you would like to see in Daggerfall?

Post by l3lessed »

nother idea from that same series is aging. Something that to my knowledge never had much of an effect in those games and was more of a background feature, but the gist of it is that your characters age. As they get older their physical stats deteriorate while their mental ones improve. In short, this means that while it might be a good idea to retire that 60 year old Knight, that 80 year old Sorceror might just be reaching his peak. This sort of thing might not really work with Daggerfall's stats system as it is, as it's already quite easy to bring them up to 100 anyway, but perhaps this could at least be food for thought on how to work around that.
Have you ever played the original "Quest for Glory: So you Want To Be A Hero"? This was one of the first 2d RPG games I played with it being black and white and everything done via console inputs. It was amazing when I was a kid. One cool feature of the game was their Paladin system. Once you beat the game, you could reimport your character with tons of bonuses and select a different class. This allowed tons of replayability and reward for finishing the game more than once. I want a simple aging system of some type myself and this old school feature could be brought into DFU for aging out a character. Maybe, when you decide to retire because you're not up to your old self, you create/recruit a new character/apprentice, and you get bonuses on creation since he is your character apprentice and all. Plus, he could get access to your characters stuff.
Well, it would be really nice, if you could summon daedra or raise corpses to aid you in battle, like you can in for example Skyrim.
This requires the creation of a more complicated and advanced follower and enemy system than the base engine has right now. First, a follower sandboxing/pathfinding system needs created to allow your followers to actually get around the world with you; there is nothing like this in the engine/game right now. Second, the way enemy factions/agro towards you need reworked, as the current base engine doesn't have a good system for handling this for followers since it was never planned in the original to have followers. Finally, at that point, a true sandboxing, path finding, faction based follower can be created, like summoned skeletons and deadra.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Khanog Doombrew

Post by Khanog Doombrew »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:20 pm
nother idea from that same series is aging. Something that to my knowledge never had much of an effect in those games and was more of a background feature, but the gist of it is that your characters age. As they get older their physical stats deteriorate while their mental ones improve. In short, this means that while it might be a good idea to retire that 60 year old Knight, that 80 year old Sorceror might just be reaching his peak. This sort of thing might not really work with Daggerfall's stats system as it is, as it's already quite easy to bring them up to 100 anyway, but perhaps this could at least be food for thought on how to work around that.
Have you ever played the original "Quest for Glory: So you Want To Be A Hero"? This was one of the first 2d RPG games I played with it being black and white and everything done via console inputs. It was amazing when I was a kid. One cool feature of the game was their Paladin system. Once you beat the game, you could reimport your character with tons of bonuses and select a different class. This allowed tons of replayability and reward for finishing the game more than once. I want a simple aging system of some type myself and this old school feature could be brought into DFU for aging out a character. Maybe, when you decide to retire because you're not up to your old self, you create/recruit a new character/apprentice, and you get bonuses on creation since he is your character apprentice and all. Plus, he could get access to your characters stuff.
This requires the creation of a more complicated and advanced follower and enemy system than the base engine has right now. First, a follower sandboxing/pathfinding system needs created to allow your followers to actually get around the world with you; there is nothing like this in the engine/game right now. Second, the way enemy factions/agro towards you need reworked, as the current base engine doesn't have a good system for handling this for followers since it was never planned in the original to have followers. Finally, at that point, a true sandboxing, path finding, faction based follower can be created, like summoned skeletons and deadra.
That's one old gem that seems to have escaped me so far, though I did look into it and it's definitely got my curiosity! Reading about some of the mechanics it really does seem like a few things can be pulled from there, most of all what you suggest here. I think that would be absolutely brilliant. I think this sort of thing might do a lot to alleviate the feeling of your character eventually becoming an immortal god with nothing to really worry about. You could always die of old age! Assuming you're not a vampire. Having an heir or some such would be a solid middle ground where you both get to keep things fresh and challenging while also not losing everything you earned before.

Blue Footed Booby

Post by Blue Footed Booby »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:20 pm ...

Just for the record, your monitor or computer may have been monochrome, but the game was in brilliant, astonishing sixteen color. The VGA remake, of course, was 256.

I honestly miss the painted-but-pixelated, and wish there were more mods for Daggerfall oriented toward, eg, pixelated dynamic skies, and per-texel shadows.