Walking up the steep slopes in dungeons is just weird

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
King of Worms

Walking up the steep slopes in dungeons is just weird

Post by King of Worms »

Ok so this is a feature we all got used to, but it actually is kind of strange.

For example in 1st dungeon Privateers hold, there is this steep slope leading to the bear. These slopes are all around the game. When you start to climb it, you just run upwards SO FAST its very unrealistic and looks simply off.

I think climbing up these slopes should be much slower. And I actually think it should be corrected in the main game, in the "advanced climbing" section - which is optional and that is exactly where this enhancement would fit.

What you think about it? I really feel like it should be included in the enhanced climbing (or just a main game) and I think this part of the game should be polished.

I welcome any opinions and ideas.

Example:
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (593.63 KiB) Viewed 1524 times

Ralzar

Re: Walking up the steep slopes in dungeons is just weird

Post by Ralzar »

I can only agree. It has always felt a bit buggy. Like you step on an escelator.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think its a bug. It technically is a bug but we got used to it. It sucks. Nothing good in this "feature"

Can we corect is pls?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I think it's a poor solution they made to enable the connecting of varied dungeon blocks, if you're referring to what I think you are. I don't see it as a clear bug, but it is ridiculous ingame for sure.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

A wizard did it

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

A good solution might be a velocity limiter for positive y-axis motion in general.
In Julianos we Trust.

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Funnily enough I was just working with slope collision/movement on another of my projects. I coded the slope to raise the character up depending on the height of the point they're standing on. The character traverses the distance of the hypotenuse in the same time they take to traverse the right triangle's leg below it. Technically, the movement speed is increased if you account for the up/down axis but the velocity is only measured along the floor's axis. This doesn't look weird until you make the slope extreme like the ones KOW is talking about. Looks like they coded slopes similarly in DF.

I'm not very familiar with Unity's physics but perhaps we could apply friction to these severe slopes in particular? That way the player wouldn't just zoom up and down.

hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

King of Worms wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:37 pm I think its a bug. It technically is a bug but we got used to it. It sucks. Nothing good in this "feature"
Hazelnut wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:59 pm I think it's a poor solution they made to enable the connecting of varied dungeon blocks, if you're referring to what I think you are. I don't see it as a clear bug, but it is ridiculous ingame for sure.
Not only has this always seemed weird to me, but I remember an instance in-game where you just couldn't ride up one of these, and it's in Direnni Tower. Once you reach that sort of pyramidal structure deep into the tower, there's one door to the east that has one of these which you cannot ride up. You either have to climb it slowly (and glitchy), or use Levitate to go up. Not only that, but instead of sliding down like you can in most of these along the game, you just drop like a sack of bricks if you try, and hurt yourself on the way down.

Anyone has any ideas for this one?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Daniel87 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:29 pm A good solution might be a velocity limiter for positive y-axis motion in general.
this sounds like a good general idea and solution
Last edited by King of Worms on Tue May 18, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:59 pm I think it's a poor solution they made to enable the connecting of varied dungeon blocks, if you're referring to what I think you are. I don't see it as a clear bug, but it is ridiculous ingame for sure.
well those steep corridors are ok with me, but the way you move upwards at the speed of light, is what is seriously wrong

@ Numidium - Any solution to this would be great, either the speed limiter suggested, or the friction, whatever does the job, just someone please get us rid of this ancient "feature" :lol: