Enhanced Daedra summoning

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
King of Worms

Enhanced Daedra summoning

Post by King of Worms »

This is a high end gameplay and its very subpar - I feel like this part of a game was rushed out by Beth and it deserves to be improved so its not so underwhelming.

Current state of things is, that you summon daedra, a very low res blurry video loop is played without any sound, some text runs and its all over. Great.

1st) I want the videos loops to be able to be exported, its resolution increased and music added to it. I can create the cinematics, but its currently closed for modding

2nd) there are daedra sprites in the main game, and those sprites are never used with one exception (175_14-0) These animated sprites are all in the archive 175. So what if after the daedra is summoned, the remastered (1) video is played and than the actual animated sprite (2) is placed in the world in front of the player. To represent the daedra you just summoned? It can be wiped out when you leave the area...

That would make the whole system more grounded in game and connected to the world.

Again, opinions and ideas are welcomed, thank you.
Spoiler!
175_3-0.png
175_3-0.png (660.39 KiB) Viewed 1744 times

misteralter

Re: Enhanced Daedra summoning

Post by misteralter »

Hello. I suggest taking the Prince Daedra system implemented in the Elder Kings Crusader Kings 2 mod. Or part of it. There is a reputation for a particular prince, which can be obtained by donating money, artifacts, or living victims. You can only summon a prince if you have the reputation of at least a certain number. Each prince has his own tastes, for example, Meridia accepts only undead as victims, and so on. After summoning, the prince's reputation decreases by a certain number, and to re-summon him, you need to increase the reputation to at least a certain number. Expand the number of deals available to the prince, for example, so that Molag Bal can turn you into a vampire and so that you can get a permanent companion from the Daedric Prince for a certain price. And Hermaeus Mora could boost any skills you have for a price as a trainer.

pango

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums misteralter!
misteralter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:05 pm Hello. I suggest taking the Prince Daedra system implemented in the Elder Kings Crusader Kings 2 mod. [...]
I think King of Worms was only concerned about cosmetic modding here, not game mechanics.
Can be interesting too, but a totally different topic...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yup the 1st step is to make the Daedra summoning look at least normal... current state of things is very very bad.
2n step might be expanding the functionality.

Its a bit sad ppl dont care about this part of the game. Especially when its basically a endgame cherry on the top activity in this game, yet it looks and feels like..... yes, that ;)

The sprites are in the game for a reason...

Why I cant even export the damned videos?

pango

Post by pango »

Those videos can be found as *.FLC files (Autodesk FLIC format? anyway)
ffmpeg can read and convert those:
https://ufile.io/u8ho3fhv
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:04 pm Yup the 1st step is to make the Daedra summoning look at least normal... current state of things is very very bad.
2n step might be expanding the functionality.

Its a bit sad ppl dont care about this part of the game. Especially when its basically a endgame cherry on the top activity in this game, yet it looks and feels like..... yes, that ;)

The sprites are in the game for a reason...

Why I cant even export the damned videos?
I cared quite a lot about this, and getting it right. I think it's a very accurate reproduction of Daggerfall Daedra Summoning, but maybe I'm missing something if it's "very very bad" and not normal in your eyes? Maybe you just mean the way it was done in classic too? But if there's something in DFU that needs improving, please say.

As for why you can't export the videos, not sure. I just used the code for playing them that had already been written.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, I mean that the vanilla is very underwhelming, not that the implementation to DFU is bad Hazelnut.

Thanks for the info Pango.

pango

Post by pango »

The link above is a ZIP archive containing the videos converted to lossless h264, and individual frames as png files
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Downloaded, thank you, will take a look :)

pango

Post by pango »

I should also probably mention that the FLC player does not seem to currently support asset injection (hence not support modding).
-- Charles Goodhart