[Idea? Feature suggestion?] Correct aspect ratio outside retro rendering

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
hfc2x

[Idea? Feature suggestion?] Correct aspect ratio outside retro rendering

Post by hfc2x »

What it says in the title. I love playing with retro rendering, because I like the chunky pixel goodness, but sometimes, I just would like to play Daggerfall in my native resolution. The only problem with this, is that only retro rendering fixes the aspect ratio of the graphics. Native modern rendering looks nice and crisp, but all the graphics look squashed, because they weren't meant to be displayed at their native resolution with square pixels.

Are there any plans to implement "proper" scaling for 2D graphics outside retro rendering? And this sort of request/observation/whatever, applies to the intrusive non-fullscreen HUD (which is what I use), because even on retro rendering with free scaling option turned on, the HUD doesn't actually display correctly either.

See examples:

Classic Daggerfall with proper 4:3 aspect ratio:

Daggerfall Unity with retro rendering at 640x480 and UI free scaling:

Side-by-side comparison (left: classic, right: DFU):

I know this has been brought up before (here, for example), and I would like to know if anything can be done about it as well, since I'd honestly rather play at high resolutions for the visibility, but conserve the intended look of the overworld sprites and HUD.

pango

Re: [Idea? Feature suggestion?] Correct aspect ratio outside retro rendering

Post by pango »

This explain how to get aspect correction: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1743
(in my experience it works on Windows but not on Linux; I don't know about OS X)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Yes, I've read that post, and that's what you see in the second screenshot, the "Silver Settings". But it only works for retro rendering. What I'm asking if a ratio-correcting feature can be achieved outside of that, because I want to be able to play with my native resolution, instead of being limited to a multiplier of 640x400.

Besides, the face comparison in the third picture is showcasing how even with these settings, DFU only corrects the ratio of the world graphics, and not the HUD.

pango

Post by pango »

Mmmh, I didn't realize it requires retro mode. Again since I'm using Linux I only saw aspect correction working once or twice, for testing...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart