Regional/Seasonal Shaders

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
NikitaTheTanner

Regional/Seasonal Shaders

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

I was thinking about season in Daggerfall and how advanced the technology was at the time, to implement it. Changes of seasons and regions are very noticable in the original game.

So I thought, that maybe we can take it one step further. I am thinking about applying shaders to the game, depending on your location, season and time of the day.

So, I am thinking of something like ENB or Minecraft shaders. I don't want the effects to be too strong to distract from the game or completely transform it, but instead only to emphasize the passing of seasons. The idea is to relate temperature to the player through visuals.

Autumn - slightly desaturated, dark and sepia look.

Winter - slightly desaturated, dark and blue look. Maybe add more bloom to the lights, to emphasize their warmth.

Spring - slightly brighter colors.

Summer - brighter colors, glow from the sun.

These are just examples, taken from Skyrim screenshots, and might be a bit too extreme, but I think it would be nice to see the transition of seasons and temperature changes affect overall gameplay.

So, for example, deserts of Hammerfell should be almost blinding during the day, but almost pitch black at night. Summer nights at the northern regions can be brighter, though, just like in real world. Many possibilities.

I think the shaders might allow to transfer the feel of the world much better with just the visuals. What do you think?

Narf the Mouse

Re: Regional/Seasonal Shaders

Post by Narf the Mouse »

For some of that, no shaders would be needed, just tinting the directional and ambient lights. :)

"Bloom" is something Unity comes with default shaders for; changing bloom by season would involve some code to move some values around.

Add in some coloured fog and you've got much of the way there. The rest is fine-tuning (and 90% of the work) :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.