Option to add new dreams based on important ingame events/main quests

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
King of Worms

Option to add new dreams based on important ingame events/main quests

Post by King of Worms »

So I was thinking on how to add the beautiful art Pizzaman is doing, depicting various events in game
https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... dom_by_me/

I wrote my idea there, so copy paste:
It should be as a extension of the existing "functionality" of the game and that is dreaming. There are 2 dreams currently ingame. So maybe, if the quest is triggered, we can have this image rolling (the way to animate this could be the one I use quite a lot and that is zoom out from the pupil of the lady towards the whole scene) Add some unused game music, some dreamy haze and there u have it.

Same could be done with the image of Lady Brisiena you did.

Also the de-pictured meeting maybe? (but thats slightly different case, but still could be managed)
So, is it possible, that lets say a player gets a quest or note about Medoras imprisonment (Or other important ingame events) and that triggers the dream when player goes to sleep - so the new animation is played?

Id be willing to create some of these animations, but I must know, if thats even doable, to get it ingame.

Jay_H

Re: Option to add new dreams based on important ingame events/main quests

Post by Jay_H »

The quest system has a prebuilt command, "play video ***" allowing you to select a video from the game's files to play. That's how the main quest does the endings and so on. I'm not volunteering to help at this time, but the capability is absolutely there. TheLacus' description of it is as follows:
play video nn
A positive number.

Plays one of the ANIMXXXX.VID videos defined by its index, meaning the last part of the name. For example play video 1 plays ANIM0001.VID.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you. I never used that system, have no idea on how to make this a reality unfortunatelly. I hope the community can make this happen. The videos are basically ready.

Someone please pick up the torch and implement these vids ingame

https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... _painting/

https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... ing_by_me/

I can be a mediator. The content creator is ok with this being in game, I asked him. The vids are there. It just needs some push And yea, having this as a part of the Dream extended animations would be so cool. Or standalone release ofc.
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

How should they be added? When should they play? Just add them in game is a bit vague... :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I think this means adding commands for the quest framework to show animations or images, in addition to text.

You could potentially layer text on top of images as well.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sorry for being vague, I was probing if its even theoretically possible, let me explain more:

Id like to introduce new animations in the game, which would trigger based on the player receiving a (main) quests or doing certain actions described bellow.
These animations would play either

1) once you rest (fast travel?) after obtaining such a quest
2) immediately after receiving the quest
3) after using a item
4) some other option based on community agreement/suggestions

Im not expert in the game main quest progression, so I will be glad for suggestions on when and how to introduce these videos.

So far there are some animations almost ready:
1st) Lady Brisienna Meeting - I think this should be triggered when the player gets the quests + goes to rest (fast travels?)
Here is the test version of the video so you get the idea
https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... _painting/

2nd) Medora in the Direnni tower

Again, this should be triggered after player obtains the quest and either goes to sleep or maybe fast travels?
Heres the video
https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... ing_by_me/

3rd) The lost Painting

So when you get that painting and Use it, it describes how the painting transforms from ordinary to the new one depicting a scene. And this scene was drawn by a artist here and can easily be made in the morphing animation
https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... 403_by_me/
Id like to have that animation play once you click Use on it and read the text for example...

So this is the way Im heading with this idea. Im really lost on how to make it a reality, and the fact I never used quest editor or coded a line does not make it easier... The triggers should be made in a way these videos are played for certain, so the player does not miss them in case he for example does not go to sleep before finishing the quest. Ideas on how to make sure this is the case are welcomed (multiple triggers? Sleep, fast travel...)

lonegamedev

Post by lonegamedev »

I think the real problem is creating a system for calling custom actions on specific events.

I guess a simple mod that listens for particular events and then triggers a video would work just fine.

I'm totally swamped recently so I make no promises I will look into it.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think that that system might be the quest editor, but no idea if thats the case for real. Any help is welcomed, but no rush 😊 Im swamped since 2017 😉

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Making it work via quest is simple. I wrote this up quickly:

This would require someone writing quest script for such events as the first arrival to Direnni Tower, etc. It wouldn't be hard to implement, the files would just replace existing versions of the main quest.

I'm certain C# mods could do the same thing with more flexibility, but this option is here.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks Jay, nice to see it ingame :)

I love the idea of playing this vid at arrival to the Direnni tower - as thats THE way to do it!
Same might be done with Lady Brisienna, play the vid on the entering of the tavern.

Can you share the quest which made this video to play?

So basically what is needed now is someone to write a script to play this vid when the player has the quest and enters the direnni tower location?