Mod Organizer 2 support

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jimfcarroll

Mod Organizer 2 support

Post by jimfcarroll »

I just submitted a PR on github for a plugin for Daggerfall Unity in Mod Organizer 2 (MO2).

MO2 is much more flexible than Vortex in that it allows you to manually creating the file structure during the install when the MOD isn't packaged correctly. This plugin has rudimentary detection for the case when a mod isn't packaged correctly and MO2 will automatically brings up the manual install screen.

It's a MO2 "basic game" (python) plugin. You can find the python file here: https://github.com/jimfcarroll/modorgan ... llunity.py

Once you install MO2 you need to just put that file in the directory: [MO2 Install Root]/plugins/basic_games/games

jimfcarroll

Re: Mod Organizer 2 support

Post by jimfcarroll »

If anyone is interested, they took the plugin. I'm assuming that means the next release of Mod Organizer 2 will have support for Daggerfall Unity.

https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorg ... 44bac7d437

Philmer

Post by Philmer »

This is interesting, but I'd never use it for Daggerfall Unity. I use Mod Organizer 2 for my Skyrim and Fallout, etc games. IMO Daggerfall Unity doesn't need an external mod manager since it's modding system is pretty simple and straight forward already with it's own built-in mod organizer, and installing mods is super easy.

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Try enabling, removing, and re-enabling mods with 100s of loose files. You'll change your mind. :-)

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Let me give you a better answer. Here are some of the advantages:

1. Much faster to install mods than manually.
2. Much better than Vortex, currently the default mod-manager for DFU, at handling mis-packaged mods. I have 50-60 mods installed and 1/2 of them are incorrectly packaged.
3. Trivial handling, including the disabling and re-enabling, of mods composed of, or partly composed of, loosely packaged files. This includes Quests, QuestPacks, and Sound mods, plus Texture overrides, etc.
4. I can layer optional components of mods as separate mods. For example:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.45 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Notice, with just a click I can add or remove the optional textures. No need to dig into the filesystem and delete the files and then re-add them if I decide to turn them back on again.
5. While there are currently no collisions (the same named files in two different mods), I'd be able to detect and manage them here if there were.

Philmer

Post by Philmer »

Nah I’m good thanks. Also never used Vortex for anything or NMM for that matter. Been playing and modding Daggerfall Unity for over 2 years now without any issues with mod management. I’ve got a pretty good manual mod management system for myself right now that makes the process super fast and easy never had any issues dealing with any number of loose files or “mis-packaged” mods. Currently have over 80 mods installed and I’ve barely touched them in my 300+ hours of playtime with my last character. I don’t want the distraction of an external mod manager for Daggerfall that’s just overdoing it for me.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm absolutely certain this will be vital for some new users after 1.0, migrating over from TES3-5 who want a familiar interface when modding DFU. Just give it some time and I'm sure they'll show up ;) Great work putting this together.

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:04 am I'm absolutely certain this will be vital for some new users after 1.0, migrating over from TES3-5 who want a familiar interface when modding DFU. Just give it some time and I'm sure they'll show up ;) Great work putting this together.
Heh. It was a few lines that took 20 minutes to figure out from scratch. I'm just surprised no one else had done it.

But thanks.