resting and consequences

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
risk

resting and consequences

Post by risk »

i'm not sure if this is actually a good idea.. but wondering if some people thought the same.

would it add to the experience if there were some danger in resting in the wild or in dungeons? or would it make it unnecessarily uncomfortable?

i was thinking maybe have a chance that the enemy will get the first hit and then you wake up.. so depending on the enemy this could be quite a bad thing and also give you less of a headstart to run.

i think reduce the possibility of enemy getting close enough to hit if:
1. using a tent (climate and calories) as they have to disturb the tent first and a seasoned adventurer would be sensitive to it. even more reduction at night because of the shadow cast by the fire.

2. acute hearing gives a high chance of being alerted.

3. maybe a bonus for having some skills that reduce chances of enemies immediately attacking: perhaps alteration, pickpocket, stealth, language skills (specific to creature).

4. luck as a modifier for all encounters, whether you will immediately wake up as an enemy approaches.

does this sound reasonable or does it just make the game difficult with no gain?
just thinking out aloud :)

risk

Re: resting and consequences

Post by risk »

another thing, is it possible to make the magical door lock (fenrik's door jam / wizard lock) override enemies being nearby, if you lock a door in a dungeon? so you can rest nicely, if you have a good door lock ability :)

pango

Post by pango »

risk wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:40 am another thing, is it possible to make the magical door lock (fenrik's door jam / wizard lock) override enemies being nearby, if you lock a door in a dungeon? so you can rest nicely, if you have a good door lock ability :)
I think checking you're in a closed room will be extremely complex to implement.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

risk

Post by risk »

oh i see! i guess then maybe make mysticism another modifier for reduced likelihood of being instantly attacked, along with the other skills haha

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

What about consumable items that would help prevent rest consequences in dungeons? A tripwire trap that you place nearby, that lasts until someone breaks it. Or a small bell that rings whenever something moves nearby, etc. You could go into dungeons without them, but you might not like what happens ;)

risk

Post by risk »

that would be really neat!
and maybe an equivalent mysticism spell - with the downside you have to use spell points for it, which you may not want to do.

having the risk of interruption higher in dungeons is good - encouraging resting in small increments (1-4 hours), as opposed to prolonged sleeping in a dungeon. who sleeps in a dungeon anyway?!?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

another thing, is it possible to make the magical door lock (fenrik's door jam / wizard lock) override enemies being nearby, if you lock a door in a dungeon? so you can rest nicely, if you have a good door lock ability :)
Finding the door wouldn't be hard; It could be done using the built in block data that contains all the doors properties within it or you could do a ray/spherecast from player center out a certain range and have it return upon successfully hitting the door object.

However, the hard part is, how will you know if the player is in the room or in the hallway outside the room? You would have to do more calculations to figure out the area around the player and then assume the bigger area would be the room. However, that assumption isn't even safe.

Or, because all doors start closed, you could create a list/array to store the location the player opens the door at, set that as the location of the hall, and then use that to figure out if the player is on the other side of the door/hall by just calculating the players position from the position of where they opened the door. However, what happens if a monster/npc opens a door? Now it won't work.

Maybe if all doors have a properly places front and back, that could be used. The front would face towards the hall area and the back would face the room. If that is the case, then you could use this as the easiest possible solution. Detect if the player is facing the back of the door (aka is in the room) using the object's and player's rotation/yaw/position properties, and if so, and the door is closed, we get safe sleep.

It can be done, but as said, you would need to be creative and really consider all the issues of code trying to figure out the subjectivity of an area being considered a room or not.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

risk

Post by risk »

thank you for thoughts 13lessed.
if its too difficult maybe don't worry about the lock feature. i thought more of something of a disincentive to rest in dungeons - but more benefit of using bandages, healing potions.. and also more benefit from the 'medical' skill, regenerate health, etc.. also less benefit of longer resting times unless in taverns / houses

risk

Post by risk »

another thing.. could we fix the role of 'medical' skill to become more like rapid healing?
i would think having a high level of medical skill should be similar.. but of course you would have to work up to it.

medical as it is - seems very difficult to get above 40%.. it seems to stagnate past a certain level.
so maybe if at 50% it were like rapid healing, with slightly diminishing returns after - would make it a sought after skill.

would also be nice for medical to give you an early indicator that you have possibly contracted a disease - but i don't know how difficult that is to implement.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

i think the acute/bad hearing idea is a good one. If monsters can have abilities and skills and stuff then nightblades should sneak up on you and back stab you, but youll hear them or be alerted to their presence if you have acute hearing.