Overhaul of magic resistance.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
darkedone02

Overhaul of magic resistance.

Post by darkedone02 »

It's not fun playing as wizard when half your spells that you throw at a basic rat end up somehow saved by it. The whole system sucks imo, and I wish to see a mod that can overhaul the magic resistance by itself. There is a mod that does this called "mighty magic" but it include things that I don't want.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Re: Overhaul of magic resistance.

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

I'm working on my own "magic overhaul", just had its pre-release on here: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=56313

It's not there yet, but I've been thinking about saving throws too (saving throws as opposed to the magic resistance effect, there's a difference). Ideally, I'd have it reflect the difference in strength between the caster and the target, rather than having a flat resistance value for the target. It would be affected by your magic skills and your stats.
In fact, I'd go so far as give each school different stats: for example, alteration and mysticism get stronger with Intelligence, Destruction and Restoration with Willpower, and Illusion and Thaumaturgy with Personality.

At least, "wasting half your magick pool on a rat" is less of an issue in my mod already, since your level 1 spells are stronger and cost less.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I want to rebuild this system into my combat overhaul project at some point. My idea, like the rest of the project, is modernization and intuitive design.

Just like combat, I'll remove all chance based hit/miss and go with scaling damage based on resistance with a hard cap at some place, like 80%. Again, more akin to Skyrim feel and taste.

This would be developed after I redo the chance based system for combat.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

darkedone02

Post by darkedone02 »

Kab the Bird Ranger wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:01 pm I'm working on my own "magic overhaul", just had its pre-release on here: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=56313

It's not there yet, but I've been thinking about saving throws too (saving throws as opposed to the magic resistance effect, there's a difference). Ideally, I'd have it reflect the difference in strength between the caster and the target, rather than having a flat resistance value for the target. It would be affected by your magic skills and your stats.
In fact, I'd go so far as give each school different stats: for example, alteration and mysticism get stronger with Intelligence, Destruction and Restoration with Willpower, and Illusion and Thaumaturgy with Personality.

At least, "wasting half your magick pool on a rat" is less of an issue in my mod already, since your level 1 spells are stronger and cost less.
I'm going to try out your mod, and see if it compatible with the skilled spells mod.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

Skilled Spells is my old mod. Having both is pointless - skilled spells gives you a caster level, while Unleveled Spells removes level scaling.

darkedone02

Post by darkedone02 »

Kab the Bird Ranger wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:02 am Skilled Spells is my old mod. Having both is pointless - skilled spells gives you a caster level, while Unleveled Spells removes level scaling.
They work well together if you want to feel like an OP wizard later on, for example... at 115% of destruction, a fireball spell of a magnitude of 100 cost around 20-35 sp. With the basic mana regen mod that I SOO enjoy because it make playing a pure wizard so much more fun, your basically easily to cast 5 of those with ease.