First-person Weapon Sprites

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
realakp

Re: First-person Weapon Sprites

Post by realakp »

Here is what I've done so far. Feel free to experiment with it.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /Scene.fbx

By the way, here's some progress with staffs:

https://gfycat.com/exaltedimpolitefinch

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks. Once I hone my animation coding skills on the animals, I'll see if I can pull these and get them going in the ambidexterity mod.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

bearhead

Post by bearhead »

Here are inventory graphics for three of the longbows (steel, silver, elven) - specifically texture 234.

My plan is to leave a good portion of each bow as wood so that current 1st person animation still makes sense...
Spoiler!
11-0_steel.PNG
11-0_steel.PNG (4.25 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
11-0_silver.png
11-0_silver.png (5.08 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
11-0_elven.png
11-0_elven.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
realakp - could you PM me the best way to share these with you?

realakp

Post by realakp »

Thank you so much, they will make a great addition to the whole bundle. I'll PM you with details.

realakp

Post by realakp »

New version is available at Nexus, including:

Longsword (FPP and Inventory)
Staff (FPP and Inventory)
Battle Axe (FPP and Inventory)
Bow (Inventory only) by @bearhead

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/242
Attachments
2021_10_26_19_12_32.jpg
2021_10_26_19_12_32.jpg (217.94 KiB) Viewed 1152 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Any chance you render it in high res as well? When making new weapons like this axe, its about changing the output resolution?

pepperjam

Post by pepperjam »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:55 pm The amount of time and work to create the number of unique frames needed for a completely new sprite for all weapons or even the overlapping blades is very high. Each weapon has 5 individual frames per attack animation; with 6 attack animations possible, that is 30 frames a weapon. that's hundreds of hand drawn frames. Probably not going to happen, unless there is an extremely bored, dedicated artist out there with tons of time and patience on his hand.
Couldn't you do it Starcraft style and animate them in 3D, then convert them to pixel art and do a quick pass to clean them up? I'd think you could semi-automate it in Blender and Photoshop.

I don't know how hard this is to mod, though. It worries me that it might require tons of extra code to make what seems to me like a minor change. I'd think it would just be a matter of practicality; it's very resource expensive for something most players wouldn't notice, and probably was impossible for a game in the 90s.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Couldn't you do it Starcraft style and animate them in 3D, then convert them to pixel art and do a quick pass to clean them up? I'd think you could semi-automate it in Blender and Photoshop.

I don't know how hard this is to mod, though. It worries me that it might require tons of extra code to make what seems to me like a minor change. I'd think it would just be a matter of practicality; it's very resource expensive for something most players wouldn't notice, and probably was impossible for a game in the 90s.
The artist can do it however they need. I'm no artist past basic paint.net and gimp use. If it is easier than it seems to create them, then the next step is coding on the script side.

There are two separate issues here:

The first is you would need to code a new fpsweapon script to render all the new weapon textures. The base script has no way to import whole new textures and animations. It can only replace the default ones. I technically have done this now, and I could update my mod to include custom weapon texture and animation sets. Some one can do it themselves too.

This leads to the second issue, well kind of issue. For it to be compatible with my weapon smoothing mod feature, it has to match classic ratios, sizes, and positions. For HD, it has to match the Dream textures. If it doesn't, it will lead to frame skipping and cut offs most likely.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

realakp

Post by realakp »

New version available on Nexus.

Currently done:

Longsword (FPP and Inventory)
Claymore (Inventory only)
Staff (FPP and Inventory)
Battle Axe (FPP and Inventory)
Long Bow (Inventory only) by @bearhead
Short Bow (Inventory only) by @bearhead
King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:56 am Any chance you render it in high res as well? When making new weapons like this axe, its about changing the output resolution?
I'll rerender everything in hi res for you when I finish.
pepperjam wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:22 pm Couldn't you do it Starcraft style and animate them in 3D, then convert them to pixel art and do a quick pass to clean them up? I'd think you could semi-automate it in Blender and Photoshop.
This is what I do ;) everything is animated in 3D, then rendered and converted to sprites. I have automated the process as much as I can but it's still a lot of work.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank You, would be so cool to have it for users who run HD mods 😊