First-person Weapon Sprites

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
l3lessed

Re: First-person Weapon Sprites

Post by l3lessed »

Beautiful, and I would love to see these in-game.

However, are you following the base games sprite positioning and sizing? If not, you are going to run into clipping issues in the base game, and it will not be compatible with my mod. The Dream artists could explain this better than me, since they created the HD weapons that are running on their own sizes.

The weapon animation offset system is hard coded to use very specific size and placement of sprites.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

realakp

Post by realakp »

This is just a sample and a presentation of my vision how it should look visually. As for sprites hitboxes, perhaps it would be possible to use a staff hitbox for two-handed swords, for example. So far I've been trying things out and trying to figure out how it could look like. Nevertheless, I need someone to take care of the implementation, because I'm quite green in this topic myself.

Below are a few more samples:

Iron Short Sword

Steel Short Sword

Silver Short Sword

Dwarven Short Sword

realakp

Post by realakp »

OK, I figure it out how to add sprites to the game, I will try to replace all the sword graphics at first.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Great work and like the look. If they work replacing the originals, they should work with my mod; can't wait to see them with animation smoothing used in my mod.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Pls consider making a HD version as well :)

realakp

Post by realakp »

I finished rendering all the graphics for the long swords! (magic swords are coming next) You can download initial version from attachment. Also, I hope it's only a matter of time when I can make variants for other types of swords. In the meantime I'll do staffs for example, they have potential for some nice diversification.

l3lessed wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:21 pm Great work and like the look. If they work replacing the originals, they should work with my mod; can't wait to see them with animation smoothing used in my mod.
I was just thinking about this! The animation frames are almost identical to the original ones, so it should all work just fine!
King of Worms wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:27 pm Pls consider making a HD version as wel
As for the HD version, I can send you FBX files with every model that I've made for this pack or even whole scene with animation setup, cameras and lights. But unfortunately I personally don't plan on making an HD version, in this case my goal was to get close to the original style as possible and I rendered the sprites at the target resolutions, so I would have to do everything again from scratch. Maybe someday when I manage to make all the weapons.
Attachments
Diverse Weapons.7z
Diverse Weapons v0.1 (longswords)
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 90 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats unfortunate :cry: I dont do 3d so no idea about models scenes etc, no way I can do that.
"so I would have to do everything again from scratch" - just re-render, no? How long it would take?

bearhead

Post by bearhead »

Looks great!
Do you think it would be possible to do bows as well? It would be cool if you could at least create unique inventory graphics for bows - currently I think the only thing that differentiates them is string color, which is barely noticeable.

I'd be down for drawing the inventory graphics for bows if you don't plan on updating their 1st-person graphics - just let me know how the image files should be set up.

realakp

Post by realakp »

Updated version, added enchanced swords and paperdoll sprites for female characters.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ons_v02.7z
King of Worms wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:20 pm Thats unfortunate :cry: I dont do 3d so no idea about models scenes etc, no way I can do that.
"so I would have to do everything again from scratch" - just re-render, no? How long it would take?
Re-render everything in hires, I do one sword at a time, then put it into PSD where I have every frame of animation set up, then I must align it with source material (my renders covers fullscreen) and then save every frame with proper name, that is 621 frames only for longsword + paperdoll sprites. That took me 3 days of work so far and I'd like to do the rest of the weapons. So unfortunately I have to refuse for now, but we'll see how I end up with the whole thing, and if there's a lot of interest then I won't close this option.
bearhead wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:26 pm Looks great!
Do you think it would be possible to do bows as well? It would be cool if you could at least create unique inventory graphics for bows - currently I think the only thing that differentiates them is string color, which is barely noticeable.

I'd be down for drawing the inventory graphics for bows if you don't plan on updating their 1st-person graphics - just let me know how the image files should be set up.
Thanks!

The problem with bows is that the original animation contains hands, and I don't know if I can manage to paste a pre-rendered bow in place of the original one. I would have to very precisely synchronize my animation with the source. But when it comes to paperdoll sprites, it is possible to differentiate them. So if you're willing to help with these graphics I'd love it.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Send me the prefab models with fbx armature animations and settings file and I will try to put them into game, once I release the first version of the 3d animals.