Option to hide all locations unknown to a stranger

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Macadaynu

Re: Option to hide all locations unknown to a stranger

Post by Macadaynu »

Regnier wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 am Hm this is a great idea, making it similar to the new games where you have to discover some locations first.
Yeah I was testing it last night and it really does add to the sense of progression.
Regnier wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 am For basic roads integration i think the places that roads lead to could be kept on the map but most locations are undiscovered.
I had imagined it as the roads being on the map, so even if you are using Random Starting Location and you were left in the middle of nowhere, at least you would have the roads to go towards, and hope that leads you to a nearby Town. Hoping Hazelnut can weave his magic to make this compatible.
Regnier wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 am Either buy a map($$$) from the palace or bank or something which reveals things or get general directions from inn keepers and certain townspeople or creatures as you travel. If you are within a certain distance a creature/person would reveal the location.
Maybe im getting ahead of things lol
I've already implemented the location reveals when speaking to NPCs as based on Dani's original post, the purchasable maps that Jay suggested should also be doable.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Hazelnut got back to me on this and said there's not an easy way of making this work with Basic Roads / Travel Options unfortunately, so I will need to pick this up again and investigate further into how to get our mods working together.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

I have no idea about what it takes to get this working but would the gap be bridged by only revealing locations the player has physically been to? As opposed to mentioned at some point.

Could we then just add text descriptions as to general location? "West of *town*, on the coast near the border". As you get closer to the location the description from npcs/monsters could be more informative.

Maybe that would add way too much writing and could be innacurate...

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Regnier wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:41 pm I have no idea about what it takes to get this working but would the gap be bridged by only revealing locations the player has physically been to? As opposed to mentioned at some point.

Could we then just add text descriptions as to general location? "West of *town*, on the coast near the border". As you get closer to the location the description from npcs/monsters could be more informative.

Maybe that would add way too much writing and could be innacurate...
Not really sure what you mean by adding text descriptions, but I'll have a progress update out soon for this

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Progress update:

I got this working with Travel Options and Basic Roads (Thanks to Hazelnut for merging in my proposed change to Travel Options):
Daggerfall Unity 11-Oct-21 9_33_03 PM.png
Daggerfall Unity 11-Oct-21 9_33_03 PM.png (970.43 KiB) Viewed 625 times

I also have a solution for only revealing quest locations when they are relevant, by hooking into Quest Actions in the quest system. This means that locations won't be revealed until the relevant action has been triggered in the quest system, therefore solving the problem of quests starting silently and revealing locations too early.

This however meant a small change to core code so I will have to wait until that has been merged in to release to the public. I'm not sure when that will happen, but I will get a proper mod release sorted when it does.

Have also added the default revealed locations in the settings:

Daggerfall Unity 11-Oct-21 9_30_14 PM.png
Daggerfall Unity 11-Oct-21 9_30_14 PM.png (898.67 KiB) Viewed 625 times

I may have to add a few locations to be revealed by default eg. on Betony, as I don't want these areas to be rendered inaccessible.

I may need some help testing this one, the main story is my main concern, as it takes a while to get through and test that all locations appear when they are supposed to.

dani26795

Post by dani26795 »

Just gonna throw a bump to this thread becuase the mod is finally a reality. Macadaynu uploaded it to Nexus just a bit ago.

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/265