Option to hide all locations unknown to a stranger

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Macadaynu

Re: Option to hide all locations unknown to a stranger

Post by Macadaynu »

haloterm wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:09 am
Macadaynu wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 pm Now I just need to figure out a way to ensure quest locations that appear in text that you read, then show up on the map. eg. Brisienna's letter
Would your mod be compatible to Basic Roads and Travel Options?
Right now, no unfortunately. It's because they are using the same override for the Travel Map Window, I would consider them to be almost essential to work alongside this mod personally though.

So my plan now is to get a prototype for this built, and if it works / gets enough interest I'll pester Hazlenut to see if we can get them working together.

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Macadaynu wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:15 am As you can see from the screenshot the cities are left in place, this is the same for each region, so you can just go to whatever region and fast travel / use Tedious Travel(Travel Options) to travel to whichever city you like.

Also if you are restricting yourself to only using fast travel via ship (between ports), this also works as every capital city has a port by default
Right, I haven't noticed that detail. I agree, that makes totally sense!
Thank you

dani26795

Post by dani26795 »

andromacus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:19 am I have a question on this: assuming I understood the idea correctly, don't you see the risk that with this mod it will become extremely difficult to leave Daggerfall region?
Yeah, that's why I suggested cities to be an exception, so fast travel is still possible while greatly limited. Logic behind it is that an agent of the Empire would have knowledge of these at least, while being oblivious of any lesser location until visiting them by themselves or being told about them by the locals.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

dani26795 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:30 pm
andromacus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:19 am I have a question on this: assuming I understood the idea correctly, don't you see the risk that with this mod it will become extremely difficult to leave Daggerfall region?
Yeah, that's why I suggested cities to be an exception, so fast travel is still possible while greatly limited. Logic behind it is that an agent of the Empire would have knowledge of these at least, while being oblivious of any lesser location until visiting them by themselves or being told about them by the locals.
All you really need is all capitols being visible from the start. Or all port cities. After all, the captain of the boat you hire will know where the ports are, even if you do not.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Macadaynu wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:27 am
haloterm wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:09 am
Macadaynu wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 pm Now I just need to figure out a way to ensure quest locations that appear in text that you read, then show up on the map. eg. Brisienna's letter
Would your mod be compatible to Basic Roads and Travel Options?
Right now, no unfortunately. It's because they are using the same override for the Travel Map Window, I would consider them to be almost essential to work alongside this mod personally though.

So my plan now is to get a prototype for this built, and if it works / gets enough interest I'll pester Hazlenut to see if we can get them working together.
Before you go too far into this and run into problems making this compatible with Travel Options: Have you checked if it is possible to simply set the locations to being undiscovered? Like most dungeons start out in the game? This might be an easier way of doing this than overriding the travel map and building your own.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

There is the "reveal" quest action, which makes the location visible on the map. Perhaps some wisdom could be gained from how it works? https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ocation.cs

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:24 pm Before you go too far into this and run into problems making this compatible with Travel Options: Have you checked if it is possible to simply set the locations to being undiscovered? Like most dungeons start out in the game? This might be an easier way of doing this than overriding the travel map and building your own.
The checkLocationDiscovered method in DaggerfallTravelMapWindow is what I'm overriding, which in turn looks at the MapTableData.Discovered property, the MapSummary.Discovered property and the PlayerGPS.discoveredLocations.

PlayerGPS.discoveredLocations is a private collection, and the class cannot be overridden. You could potentially make this public, but that means changes to core code, and then updating all the data in there (and it's probably private for a reason).

ContentReader.mapDict houses all the MapSummaries, and is also private and can't be interacted with. You could again change this, but probably not advised for the same reasons.

The way I'm doing it is letting the mod determine whether or not a location is discovered, seems overall safer to me, and it makes it less complicated than making all those changes.

However, the mod needs to work with Basic Roads in my opinion, I don't think I'm too far off a basic prototype now, so we can see how it looks without it and go from there.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:22 pm All you really need is all capitols being visible from the start. Or all port cities. After all, the captain of the boat you hire will know where the ports are, even if you do not.
I thought this could be configurable, so in the mod settings the user gets to control which location types are discovered straight away.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Macadaynu wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:00 pm
Ralzar wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:24 pm Before you go too far into this and run into problems making this compatible with Travel Options: Have you checked if it is possible to simply set the locations to being undiscovered? Like most dungeons start out in the game? This might be an easier way of doing this than overriding the travel map and building your own.
The checkLocationDiscovered method in DaggerfallTravelMapWindow is what I'm overriding, which in turn looks at the MapTableData.Discovered property, the MapSummary.Discovered property and the PlayerGPS.discoveredLocations.

PlayerGPS.discoveredLocations is a private collection, and the class cannot be overridden. You could potentially make this public, but that means changes to core code, and then updating all the data in there (and it's probably private for a reason).

ContentReader.mapDict houses all the MapSummaries, and is also private and can't be interacted with. You could again change this, but probably not advised for the same reasons.

The way I'm doing it is letting the mod determine whether or not a location is discovered, seems overall safer to me, and it makes it less complicated than making all those changes.

However, the mod needs to work with Basic Roads in my opinion, I don't think I'm too far off a basic prototype now, so we can see how it looks without it and go from there.
What I was hoping was that there was a method for discovering new locations that could be done in reverse to forget locations instead :)

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:16 pm What I was hoping was that there was a method for discovering new locations that could be done in reverse to forget locations instead :)
You can "Undiscover" a building, but not a location as far as I'm aware (would be great if someone corrected me on that though :lol:)