How flexibile is the modability of this game?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
pepperjam

How flexibile is the modability of this game?

Post by pepperjam »

I just found out about Daggerfall Unity this morning, so this may be a stupid question, but I want to know before I dig too deep into it.

Could one mod this game in basically any direction they want, since the source code can be edited in Unity, or is it heavily dependent on the Daggerfall game files to the point that big changes are difficult or impossible (especially for a Unity beginner)?

What would it take to essentially retexture the entire game and change 3D meshes to make it look like it's set in modern times, and then add cars/driving? You don't have to get too specific, just a general idea of the amount of work and what tools/tutorials to look into to get started.

I stumbled upon an old post--two years old--about doing a Fallout total conversion, and I think it would be a great idea to do something like Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis in this engine. I don't know an exact concept yet, but a total conversion set in a near-future cyberpunk world. It could lean more cyber or more punk, and I'd want there to be driving. Is that a totally unrealistic concept for someone new to this to jump into? Is it even possible? I hope it's so possible as to be easy for someone who really knows the tools. I'm just a fiction writer who does computer and art stuff as a hobby.

Azteca

Re: How flexibile is the modability of this game?

Post by Azteca »

I'm not an expert, but is there a reason you want to do it in DFU instead of just Unity? Perhaps to keep the feel of an old RPG, with the NPC portraits, sprites etc? If you're going to be learning a totally new system either way, make sure you pick the most sensible one for your vision. I'll let others weigh in on that.

Hazelnut

Re: How flexibile is the modability of this game?

Post by Hazelnut »

You can modify a lof of DFU, but most of the codebase is taking the original Daggerfall datafiles and re-implementing the game logic on top using the Unity game engine. I don't think you'll find much useful for a driving game. Somfe of the underlying techniques like the streaming world and floating origin could be applied, but all the code in DFU is very specific to recreating Daggerfall.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods