[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
l3lessed

[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by l3lessed »

I'm close enough to first release of my minimap mod, I thought I would give it an official release name and documentation page. So, after days of pounding my head against the block location system, I present to you....

l3lessed's Enchanted Compass

Are you tired of wondering aimlessly through the endless expanses of Illiac Bay and the never ending mazes of buildings and streets? Find yourself constantly confused and lost, having to ask villagers for directions, only to get back some local gibberish that isn't clear?

Well the mage guilds have the solution for you. The enchanted compass. This little trinket is nothing more than a cheap compass enchanted by a guild recruit learning and honing his skills. Pick it up and see the world in a whole new enhanced vision as your senses are honed and a part of your mind floats above your surroundings.

Features
  • Smart Enchantment View: Your enchantment view will adapt to whatever you location is to ensure you always have the best understanding of your surroundings.
  • Controllable Compass View: When viewing the compass up close, you can move the view up, down, left, or right. When hovering over buildings, the compass view will tell you what it is.
  • Soul Gem Quest Detector: The newest compasses now have a petty soul gem set in them and enchanted to turn green if your in a region or interior with a quest and red when in a region or interior without a quest.
  • Dynamic Quest Bearings and Icons: The compass detects the most recent citizen request on your mind and will provide you bearings pointing you towards the request and then mark it with an icon when it comes into compass view. The bearing will then disappear once the icon is in map view.
  • Adaptive Enchantment View: Your enchantment view will pick up more of your surroundings, including living things, and provide a better understanding of it through colors.
  • Memorizing Enchantment View: When in unexplored dungeons and crypts, you will be able to remember the location better increasing your locational awareness. Once you explore an area, it will stay in your enchantment view.
  • Alternative Enchantment View: Instead of seeing word labels for building types, you will see images that identify their building type.
  • Magical Scroll Interface: You can use a magical scroll to change many aspects of what you sense and how far your enchantment senses.
How To Use
  • Install Mod by downloading files from github. Insure to pick the correct install using the directory names.
  • Bind keys in mod configuration. Ensure to use the key code property name with proper capitalization when setting it in the mod settings. (Unity Key Code List)
  • Enjoy Compass.
Key Control
  • Disable Map: Zoom In + Zoom Out.
  • Open Scroll: Double Tap Zoom In
  • Full Screen Map: Double Tap Zoom Out
Known Compatible Mods
  • Texture Replacement Mods(Dream Hi-res Textures): Compatible.
  • Travel Mods (Tedious Travel, ect.): Compatible.
Recommended Compatible Mods
  • Dream Hi-res Textures: Makes all the texture icon markers for buildings and NPC's higher resolution, and this cleaner and better looking in the minimap.
  • Tedious Travel: Adds realism and makes the compass more useful since you can't easily fast travel everywhere.
Unfinished Features
  • Floating compass: The compass will float in front of you so you can look down at it instead of having to see it through your minds eye.
Last edited by l3lessed on Mon May 09, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 15 times in total.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Re: l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by l3lessed »

Please provide any thoughts on needed features.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Good lord this looks incredible, great work!

Will there be an option to resize this? A config slider, or perhaps small, medium and large settings?

Either way, amazing work

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great mod as Ive said in threads before :)

Transparency would be a neat feature, for ppl who want it as little intrusive as possible. These things look good at 90% transparency. But thats just a minor thing.

Hotkey ON/OFF maybe.
+/- to zoom maybe...

I think I will test it ingame and than give feedback, that will be the best :ugeek:

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

An interface is the last thing before release.

I do want to tie this to a spell and an item at some point. I want an item non-magic users can equip in a side slot and an alteration spell mage users can learn/cast.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Added Icons. I'll add an option for it to auto toggle between labels and icons depending on zoom. I'll also allow turning both off.

I also decided to remove the transparency so I could use an unlit shader. The building indicators became very hard to see at night because they were affected by the light.

Now on to interface to allow user changes of settings, and I'll mark this as done and release on nexus.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Lol so this is what u ment in the other thread, I thought the highlighted buildings will be in a 3d view :D
This looks not bad at all, just a little bit too strong effect of the highlight (maybe because its captured at night tho) but this concept is better than what I thought you was describing

Speaking of options - selective screen placement of the map would be cool. Either full control, or basic like:
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left (that one nobody will use tho but u never know)
bottom right (that one might be good, because the old compass will be basically of no use, when the minimap is activated)

Please add the "N" as North on the new compass

Also, some games use square minimaps and it has its advantage.
So minimap shape settings of Round/Square might come handy.

Just some ideas to consider. Thanks for working on this!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I did mean first person in the other thread. I tried it. It works. It gives all buildings a transparent layer over the original building and shades it the indicator color. I'll video it, but I didn't lake the look a ton.

I'll mess with the shaders for the top down view. Maybe I can use an emission shader to give the transparent indicators to glow a little at night. Right now, this uses an unlit shader, so light doesn't affect the color/mesh at all. I did that because the layer became hard to see at night.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Okay, after researching how shaders work and how to access them script side and trying numerous attempts to set them up on the fly, I was able to create a custom shader that uses distortion effect to blur together all the differing material layers and render it transparently, without lighting affecting it or other material layers affecting its color.

By doing so, I finally created a pretty close replica of the original style, but with the modern touch of transparency. It will also allow users to set the colors themselves for their indicators, once I get a UI setup for it.

Now all I need is a UI for controlling it on the fly.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Looking very nice!
Id place the icons only at the special buildings, not the standard residences. But I guess thats a work in progress :)