[MOD] Town Greetings of the Iliac Bay

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Cliffworms

[MOD] Town Greetings of the Iliac Bay

Post by Cliffworms »

Town Greetings of the Iliac Bay

Latest version : 1.2
Download (Daggerfall Unity Nexus)

Town Greetings of the Iliac Bay adds 41 descriptive messages that show upon arriving at a village, hamlet or city. These messages briefly describe the settlement and inform you of the current date, thus bringing flavor to your travels.

The texts come from the Elder Scrolls I : Arena and have been edited to fit in Daggerfall's world.

If you are more interested in descriptions that affect every settlement type and that do not have Arena's feel, I invite you to try out imsobadatnicknames' Town Descriptions and Details.

SAVE GAMES

The mod will be loaded upon starting a new game.

If you are using an existing game, open the Daggerfall Unity console and type the following :

Startquest tgibstart

CHANGE LOG
Spoiler!
- Formatted the text to fit the SDF fonts and retro rendering modes.
- Added the location/date for all the other exterior locations (dungeons, shrines, etc.)
- Added the current year shown after the day and month.
- Fixed a bug where the messages would show twice in one day, one during the day and one at night.
- Centered the messages
- The debug items that could be obtained have been removed

- Initial Release
Last edited by Cliffworms on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

carademono

Re: [MOD] Town Greetings of the Iliac Bay

Post by carademono »

You're on a roll lately!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Seems odd having the text left justified like that rather than centered. Do you prefer it like that?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Hehe, for some reason I could not find a way to center the text the right way. After seeing your message, it occured to me I should check how it's done in DF's quests.

I was certain I had to center it manually in the text file. Now I've just learned what <ce> stands for.
Where's that facepalm smiley? Yep. It looks much better.

And I also forgot to remove the "debug letters" given to the PC to check if the text is okay. Oops.

Thanks, Hazelnut!

The mod has been updated to center the text and to remove the debug items.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

A little headsup to say that I've just noticed the existence of imsobadatnicknames' Town Descriptions and Details.
While taking a similar approach, Town Descriptions and Details has messages for every settlement type.

So if Arena-style messages are not your cup of tea, I invite you to try out imsobadatnicknames' Town Descriptions and Details. :)

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Town Greetings of the Iliac Bay has been updated to version 1.2.

Most interesting is the addition of the current year shown after the day and month, thanks to Kab the Bird Ranger's current year string added to Daggerfall Unity 0.11.4. Now, the current texts are a perfect reproduction of Arena's. Hurray!

Here are the changes :

Code: Select all

- Formatted the text to fit the SDF fonts and retro rendering modes.
	- Added the location/date for all the other exterior locations (dungeons, shrines, etc.)
	- Added the current year shown after the day and month.
	- Fixed a bug where the messages would show twice in one day, one during the day and one at night.