3D animals and beasts, Project complete!*

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Ninelan

3D animals and beasts, Project complete!*

Post by Ninelan »

Here I'll be tracking the progress of the 3Dification of Daggerfall's various critters and beasts.
The initial goal will be to just, for now, make 3D models based on...
Static sprite animals and enemy beasts.

NOTE: Models with * next to their name in this index are slated to be overhauled/revamped down the line after all models are completed.
Why down the line and not now? The reason is that the models are functional right now, but something on them makes them poorly handleable which can be improved. Once all models are completed and workable they will be revamped as to not derail the project.

Later, the following projects can be attempted per need. If there will be interest in such mods from modders:
-giving a visual presentation to animals only mentioned via ingredients like unicorns, griffons, basilisk.
-Makings 'new' animals to fill out the wildlife. (antelopes, deer, wolves, ibexes, sheep)(wildlife overhauls? Hunting mods? Massive moving cattle/herds, camel caravans, wild horse herds????)

-Horse overhaul with ponies and draft horses? Regional breeds?
-Dog/cat pets/companions?
-Rideable camels?

News?News!
The project resumes, so think about completion soon.

Current progress tracklist:
16/16
Spoiler!
horses
Texture:100%
Model: 100%
Animations: 100%
camels

cows
Texture: 100%

cats

dogs
seagulls
Model:100%
Animations:100%

pigs

Daggerfall's 3D models are often of questionable proportions, they will need to be HEAVILY revamped in the anatomy department. Key features will be preserved. (like long-necked and bodied sabertoothed tigers, big-eyed rats etc. :roll: )
The horse, for example, was based on the static image, not the 3D model.

rats
werewolves/boars
dragonling

giant bat

scorpion

spider

bear
saber
slaughterfish

tentatively 'centaur'
Due to the nature of 3D models, as replacements or entirely new content, I'll open them up to any Daggerfall related projects.
SO:
If any modder is interested in playing around or implementing/merging these models with their project. Send me a PM~.

Just a showcase.

Last edited by Ninelan on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 51 times in total.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

Daniel87

Re: 3D animals and beasts (now w/Sketches for critique)

Post by Daniel87 »

Amazing work man!

Haha yeah the bear really looks silly in original DFU. I believe you should have all creative freedom you want to create the 3D models. It's not like the original content is perfect and couldn't be improved upon. I find it very much lacking in many ways and believe that DFU can and should be better than original DF in all aspects. For everyone who really wants the original experience, they can install DOSBox and play the original or play DFU without mods. The rest of us I believe would like to see the full potential of Unity applied on a great game but improved upon its weaknesses.
In Julianos we Trust.

Hrafnyx

Post by Hrafnyx »

Wow! So close to the original, yet so stylish. I'm not a fan of handpainted textures, but this looks really great.

Some comments\suggestions:
1. I think that animals should look more furry. Like, adding some noise for this smoothed out texture could help.
2. Perhaps use modern materials including normal maps, roughness maps, etc?

How many tris in this mesh btw?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Agreed that its good idea to keep your artistic freedom as the originals are many times a bit lackluster.
Also ppl have option to use original sprites, or upscaled sprites, so the vanilla experience is granted for ppl who want it.
For others what want things in 3d etc, there is no reason to keep the old strange stuff which does not look good.

One thing Id like to see when the models are done and animated is to revert em back to sprites as a option. For that, the "Spriter" from MasonFace can do awesome job, changing the 3d object to sprite of desired resolution in real time.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

Daniel87 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:44 am Haha yeah the bear really looks silly in original DFU. I believe you should have all creative freedom you want to create the 3D models. It's not like the original content is perfect and couldn't be improved upon.
Thanks man! Still, if you look at the updated model you should find some semblance of the original in it! Or rather it's soul.
Hrafnyx wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:38 pm Wow! So close to the original, yet so stylish. I'm not a fan of handpainted textures, but this looks really great.

Some comments\suggestions:
1. I think that animals should look more furry. Like, adding some noise for this smoothed out texture could help.
2. Perhaps use modern materials including normal maps, roughness maps, etc?

How many tris in this mesh btw?
<3
It may not be quite to each's flavour, but it might be neat to see if somebody tries to slap more realistic textures on them.
(or if I end up doing it lol)(sometime down the line, so many more models left to do ..!)

-Bears come to the task! They should be extra fluffy, the dogs probably too, I have a nice method to render toony short fur!
-I might return to the models and sculpt hi-res versions to source normals off them. Once I have a base done, making a sculpt and baking it is a 1-2-3 process. But I'll likely do this once a substantial amount of models are done.
Same with retouching them occasionally like better manes as an example.
But atm they aren't quite a necessity.

Both models have roughly ~2.800-3.200 tris. and the same will likely apply for bears, camels and sabres.
King of Worms wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:02 pm One thing Id like to see when the models are done and animated is to revert em back to sprites as a option. For that, the "Spriter" from MasonFace can do awesome job, changing the 3d object to sprite of desired resolution in real time.
!!
I'd love to see that too. I personally don't really mind that a lot of things are just sprites in the game, it's a nice characteristic that gives the game an identity. More options the better!
I already try to copy the poses down to the T, if somebody asks for image frames I'll export them for them.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

The sabertoothed tiger is slowly inching to some form of completion lol

But somebody should probably judge me for not putting the udders on the cow and calling it done, first.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Model is very nice but the textures make it look like from a story about a good tiger. Make it grimy, dirty, smelly animal which wants to kill you :) Just my impression and constructive criticism

1st image VS 2nd image, try getting the color scheme more towards the 1st and less towards the 2nd.
Id shift the hue from orange to more brown, bigger contrast between brown and white parts (make those actually white/grey).

Still, its a really good base you created, just Id personally add some changes to transform it towards something more like the 1st image.
Spoiler!
7msg3bds-900.jpg
7msg3bds-900.jpg (83.7 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (209.29 KiB) Viewed 3860 times

kiskoller

Post by kiskoller »

I share the same sentiment, the tiger looks way too child-cartoon-like. I think it's the textures and lighting, makes it feel like plastic and smooth, without fur.

I don't know whether this would work or not, but try adding imperfections and details. Like wound-marks (that healed) or saliva at the mouth and dirt to the paws.

The tooth could also be a little bit enlarged (and make it dirty or bloody?).

However this looks nice, of course the dealmaker/breaker will be animations, it seems a good animator will be needed who can invest a lot of time animating these models for all the tasks they will be doing.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

Ah yes, the most revered children's storybook from High rock, Tigre the friendly Sabertooth Tiger Cub :mrgreen:

I'll see what I can do about making it more gnarly! Though I think most of the work will have to be done on the eyes to make it menacing! Give it that predator look and a nice rough texture.
kiskoller wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:03 pm It seems a good animator will be needed who can invest a lot of time animating these models for all the tasks they will be doing.
I should export gifs of the animations! The cow and horse are fully animated as a reference~ (more so than needed too! Both can walk and trot!)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Would be nice to see the animations :) Either the gif or some short utube vid
Also for the future... its generally nice idea to have the models and animations stored somewhere public so if you decide you are done with the project, someone else can pick up the torch and go on. Git is a good place. Thats just in case you are ok with the idea. Quite some projects vanished with their authors, its always a sad story for the community. Its especially important in the 3d models area, where u cant expect 1 person to create it all... this will be community effort for sure.