[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
l3lessed

Re: l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by l3lessed »

No problem. Spent some of today working on it.
  • Streamlined the NPC marker code. Now it only updates when the NPC count in the location changes, and it does a proper list setup and cleaning to ensure all dead/inactive npcs have their marker scripts/objects removed to stop bugs and cpu demand. This should make large towns and high npc counts run smoother. This also removed unseen non-crashing engine errors and ensures the npc list is self contained/immutable to minimize any unforeseen bugs cropping up.
  • Added switches to ensure building marker object scripts and code are not run on any building that does not need markers. Before, it would clean them up after creating them. This should make larger towns run more smoothly.
  • Removed npc update foreach loop and pushed the code into the individual npcmarker scripts. This will help speed up marker updates and performance by uncoupling the npc marker updates from a sequenced foreach loop and allow them to all run on their own cpu script cycle increasing update speed and effiency.
  • Trying a new location data height grabbing method. I'm hoping this eliminates all bugs related to the origin point system, but I'm not holding my breath yet. I'm still having issues using it.
  • Added a quest marker toggle to the minimap menu to disable and enable the quest marker and quest bearing indicator in the compass.
I'm getting there. Maybe by the end of the next week. I just need two solve the issues I'm having. The first is with the origin point system, player location, and placing the building markers using them. The second is just a poorly constructed material update routine that crashes my script when it hits a null object; this is easy to handle though, just have to rework some code flaw and/or put in an out property and then make the object a bool to tell the script if it updated or not.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Just finished hammering out the last two major bugs. All towns load properly no matter their size, and markers always use proper location height when placing.

When I release the newest version, you will also clearly notice an improvement in performance with the optimizations I did. Only the very largest towns cause any notice frame hit when loading. Once loaded, with the npc marker improvements also, there isn't any noticeable frame rate hit.

I now need to clean up a few things and then I can drop it.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Minimap Quest Update: Quest Marker, Optimization, Dream Patcher
Quest Update is Here! Nearest quest marker will be pointed at with the quest bearing, and a marker will be added to the map for the place/building of the nearest active quest objective.

Numerous optimizations done: Refactored as much code as I could while bug smashing.
  • NPC markers now are only checked and updated when an npc in the streaming world is removed or added stopping a number of continual loops from running.
  • Converted all meshes I could to Plane meshes to reduce vertices on scene being rendered.
  • Updated icon formulas to resize better no matter building or npc texture sizes. Should always downscale or upscale to match all other icons/set size.
  • Building markers now each have their own script attached to them speeding up town marker generation a ton.
  • Added null checks to stop numerous bugs/crashes and speed up scripts.
  • Updated npc marker creation method to make it immutable and ensure proper marker addition and removal from streaming world.
  • Other small numerous changes made to increase efficiency.
Added a patcher for Dream texture/mod. Marker icons will use dream textures and resize them properly to ensure compatibility.

Still need to add an option to disable quest bearing and marker, do some more code refactoring, and finally, add a magical wearable item for immersion junkies like mw.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice progress! Thank you for making it Dream compatible 😊

cloudydaggerfall

Post by cloudydaggerfall »

Great news the new update fixed my bug. Thank you for taking the time to help me and make this mod. I haven't done indepth testing but ill let you know if there is any problems. Thank you again. :D

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I developed/updated it with your exact load order installed in the hopes it would replicate any issues you would have as I coded.

So glad to hear it worked. :D :D

Any feedback would be great, especially on the new quest bearing feature. Next release will have the option to enable and disable it on the menu.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Last update is dropping tomorrow before I put this mods future development on pause. I have two other features I would like to add at some point, but they can wait, as they are just fun additions and nothing mechanically important.

This last update for a while will be a major update to the quest bearing code and feature.

For now, I added a soul gem to the compass, right on the front of the crown on the top of the compass; I ran it through paint.net with some filters to give it a frosted glass style with an embedded into the gold metal look.

When the wearer is in an area where the soul in the gem can't detect any pull towards a users current goal, it will turn red to let the wearer know they aren't even close to the quest and should probably check their journals and notes again to see if they overlooked anything.

When you enter a location with an active goal on your mind, the soul in the gem will pick up its pull and turn green to let you know you are getting closer. At this point, the quest bearing will appear and start pointing you towards the goal.

When in view of the goal, the quest icon will appear in your compass where it is. If you have multiple goals in a single area, it will update continually to the one that is nearest to you and change the bearing to point towards it.

I've also added an icon size setting, so now you can individually adjust the sizes of each icon type be it buildings or npcs. This allows you to minimize or blow up markers you find important or not important visually.

I will try to release it tomorrow. There are some bugs still cropping up and causing issues with the whole compass code flow.

After this release, it is going on nexus as a completed mod. I can't think of anything else a user would need to make this fit their needs.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Going to have to wait one more week. I am pretty much there, but I want to smash one last minor visual bug and do a little more testing.

However, bearing is now working as it should. When inside an interior location or exterior region with a active quest building or marker, the compass soul gem turns green and the bearing and icon appear to point you to it.

When you go into an interior that doesn't have the quest or are in a region that doesn't have a quest or quest building, the compass gem turns red and bearing disappears to let you know it is the wrong building, dungeon, castle, ect.

It should only work when the location you are in, exterior or interior has the quest.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'm still dumping time into this. I'm currently getting stuck on bugs cropping up when a saved game is loaded. It seems there are objects being left over from the current play state, icons and so on, that are causing null crash errors for the mod. I think I can solve this by building a proper clean up/garbage collector routine to find and remove all the left over objects before repopulating them again within the new load.

But, wait until you see what I have in store on the next release. I decide to take the time to learn and apply some concepts I would need to use in a city builder mod to add a number of new features. :shock: :shock:
  • All icons and labels always face the players north (Not permanent game north) no matter player rotation to ensure easy readability not matter players current orientation.
  • Compass now has a petty soul gem embedded on it that detects your current goals and helps you find them using magic. If you are in a region or interior with your goal/quest in mind, the gem turns from red to green. If you are in a region or interior without you goal/quest in mind, it turns red.
  • The quest bearing will automatically show and hide based on if the petty soul gem is active/green or not active/red.
  • You can hold left click mouse while in full screen mode to move the map around. This makes seeing and exploring all of large cities much easier.
  • When in full screen mode, if you drag the map crosshairs over a building it will display its name or icon depending on if a the main label or icon is active.
  • Dynamic building names are in. Buildings will show their generic name until they are discovered by either talking to an npc or discovering them yourself. At this point, the label will show the unique name if it has one.
  • Door icons and labels have been added.
    • When outside, a small easy to see "D" appears on the compass where the entrance door is on buildings making it easier to find the doors when wandering cities.
    • When inside, the building entrance or dungeon exit appears on the compass as a door icon that changes colors based on the floor level you are on. When you are on the same level as the door it is green to let you know and make it easier to find in complicated dungeons. The more floors you away you are, up to 4, the more it changes to red.
  • Interiors and Exteriors now each have saved individual view settings. Now when you set a view zoom when inside, it will stay next time you enter an interior. Exterior zoom settings also have their own setting.
  • Improvements to label readability. Added a dark outline to ensure it is easier to read despite zoom and color settings.
  • general tweaks and improvements to camera view and zoom settings.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Looks great.
Good luck debugging. :)
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.