[MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: [MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

Post by Nystul »

this is awesome!
some ideas that come to mind would be:
  • imps could restore some mana if you ask them for it
  • centaurs could offer a repair item service (maybe even magical repair)
  • giants could give an endurance buff to player if asked for
  • harpies could cast levitate or slow fall buff on player if asked for
  • spriggans could heal some health if asked for
  • nymphs could cast a water walking or water breathing buff on players if asked for
  • orcs could give player a poison weapon dmg buff if asked for, furthermore they could offer some orcish weapons and armor for buying
  • dragonlings could cast a fire dmg buff or fire protection buff if asked for
  • daedras could teleport you to a random quest marker or to the dungeon exit if asked for, they could offer some daedric weapons and armor for buying
other elemental magic protection buffs could be distributed among the monster classes

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Nystul wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:18 pm this is awesome!
some ideas that come to mind would be:
  • imps could restore some mana if you ask them for it
  • centaurs could offer a repair item service (maybe even magical repair)
  • giants could give an endurance buff to player if asked for
  • harpies could cast levitate or slow fall buff on player if asked for
  • spriggans could heal some health if asked for
  • nymphs could cast a water walking or water breathing buff on players if asked for
  • orcs could give player a poison weapon dmg buff if asked for, furthermore they could offer some orcish weapons and armor for buying
  • dragonlings could cast a fire dmg buff or fire protection buff if asked for
  • daedras could teleport you to a random quest marker or to the dungeon exit if asked for, they could offer some daedric weapons and armor for buying
other elemental magic protection buffs could be distributed among the monster classes
These are great ideas, Would you also have them locked behind a skill requirement? (like with the other language skill and PER checks)

But yeah having race specific bonuses makes it more interesting

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Got the party follow mechanics down, and the party now follows you in and out of dungeons / buildings:

John Doom

Post by John Doom »

Macadaynu wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:33 pmI'm just hooking into their enemy motor when they are in this state and making them follow the player. As soon as they spot an enemy, the standard AI kicks back in so they go and attack their new target as normal.
I was wondering if you're directly editing EnemyMotor.cs or if you've found a way to interact with it from another script while still keeping the motor's behaviours for special cases like paralysis, gravity and timers :?:

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Just interacting with it from another script, am at work at the moment so don't have access to my code, but when you have got your enemy gameobject in the Unity scene you can do something like:

Code: Select all

var motor = gameObject.GetComponent<EnemyMotor>();
Then you can access whatever public properties / functions you want within that enemy's motor

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

You can now ask your followers for directions to quest items (if your language skill and personality are high enough of course)

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I really love this a lot! this would add a lot of depth to the game! I would also like to see the ability to summon a creature or human companion outside in the wilderness or dungeon (non-human) or recruit/conscript humanoids in various places based on type -
thieves from the thieves guild
assassins from the dark brotherhood
warriors from the fighters guild
knights from the knightly order
healers from temples
mages from mages guild
barbarians from dungeons
archers from wilderness
random thief type class from taverns
random warrior type class from palaces
random mage type class from somewhere of sometype.

you'd be able to attempt a summon once per day. humanoids would have a daily fee commiserate to their skill and level and inventory, and would run away or possibly desert you if their health becomes too low, or on seeing a lich or vampire ancient (except for maybe sorcerers and knights)
the time you'd have this companion would also factor into skill.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

daggerdude wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:05 pm I really love this a lot! this would add a lot of depth to the game! I would also like to see the ability to summon a creature or human companion outside in the wilderness or dungeon (non-human) or recruit/conscript humanoids in various places based on type -
thieves from the thieves guild
assassins from the dark brotherhood
warriors from the fighters guild
knights from the knightly order
healers from temples
mages from mages guild
barbarians from dungeons
archers from wilderness
random thief type class from taverns
random warrior type class from palaces
random mage type class from somewhere of sometype.

you'd be able to attempt a summon once per day. humanoids would have a daily fee commiserate to their skill and level and inventory, and would run away or possibly desert you if their health becomes too low, or on seeing a lich or vampire ancient (except for maybe sorcerers and knights)
the time you'd have this companion would also factor into skill.
Thanks for the feedback :)

Yes this kind of thing would be possible, but probably would exist outside of the Language theme of this mod. I did plan on using this kind of follower logic for other things like NPC companion quests with followers and the like, but they would exist as a separate mod to this.

The follower party logic was the hardest problem to solve, so doing things like you have suggested would not be too difficult I don't think.

Side note: Somebody tried to do this kind of thing using the quest system here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/111. I don't know how well it works though, not tried it myself

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Made some good progress with the party follow logic, also added some new features:

What Is Your Name? - Allows you to name your party members
How Are You? - Tells you the current health of the creature, and Magicka if relevant

Here's a quick gameplay demo of those features, and what it looks like to play as a healer

Bear in mind your language skills / personality have to be pretty high to command a party of this size

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

really awesome mod, major addition to DFU.

What is the current status of its use with human enemies? you mentioned that streetwise and etiquette wouldnt be affected.

sorry if you mentioned it already