[MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Macadaynu

Re: [MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

Post by Macadaynu »

Regnier wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:15 am really awesome mod, major addition to DFU.

What is the current status of its use with human enemies? you mentioned that streetwise and etiquette wouldnt be affected.

sorry if you mentioned it already
Right now I'm testing it with Streetwise and Etiquette enabled, so you can attempt to pacify any enemy that use those language skills. I'm going to make this optional in the mod settings though, so the user can decide if they want to play this way. How they are levelled is still yet to be determined though, it may be that they don't get levelled when you use them for manual pacify attempts (As using the tone options when talking to NPCs already raises these skills).

I'm getting close to something stable now, so can actually start testing how the levelling feels.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Macadaynu wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:05 pm
Regnier wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:15 am really awesome mod, major addition to DFU.

What is the current status of its use with human enemies? you mentioned that streetwise and etiquette wouldnt be affected.

sorry if you mentioned it already
Right now I'm testing it with Streetwise and Etiquette enabled, so you can attempt to pacify any enemy that use those language skills. I'm going to make this optional in the mod settings though, so the user can decide if they want to play this way. How they are levelled is still yet to be determined though, it may be that they don't get levelled when you use them for manual pacify attempts (As using the tone options when talking to NPCs already raises these skills).

I'm getting close to something stable now, so can actually start testing how the levelling feels.
ok, good that its an option. I want to be able to pacify anything, it makes sense that youd be better at pacifying humans so i think ill play with it on.

i see how the leveling could be imbalanced; maybe reduce all streetwise and etiquette increases because theres twice as much stimuli.

Does it work on unaware enemies?

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Regnier wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:15 am
Does it work on unaware enemies?
Right now yes, but I will probably change that

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Macadaynu wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:16 pm
Nystul wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:18 pm this is awesome!
some ideas that come to mind would be:
  • imps could restore some mana if you ask them for it
  • centaurs could offer a repair item service (maybe even magical repair)
  • giants could give an endurance buff to player if asked for
  • harpies could cast levitate or slow fall buff on player if asked for
  • spriggans could heal some health if asked for
  • nymphs could cast a water walking or water breathing buff on players if asked for
  • orcs could give player a poison weapon dmg buff if asked for, furthermore they could offer some orcish weapons and armor for buying
  • dragonlings could cast a fire dmg buff or fire protection buff if asked for
  • daedras could teleport you to a random quest marker or to the dungeon exit if asked for, they could offer some daedric weapons and armor for buying
other elemental magic protection buffs could be distributed among the monster classes
These are great ideas, Would you also have them locked behind a skill requirement? (like with the other language skill and PER checks)
yeah, definitely ;) so raising those skills could be even more meaningful
those were just suggestions, so I won't mind if you decide to move some of them around mob race/change them

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Nystul wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:51 pm yeah, definitely ;) so raising those skills could be even more meaningful
those were just suggestions, so I won't mind if you decide to move some of them around mob race/change them
I will implement those kind of the ideas after the initial release I think

I've got something stable for everything else now (phew), so I'll move onto testing and start the tweaking process, but I should have a v0.1 out soonish

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Macadaynu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:05 pm I will implement those kind of the ideas after the initial release I think

I've got something stable for everything else now (phew), so I'll move onto testing and start the tweaking process, but I should have a v0.1 out soonish
awesome!

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

So I'm at the stage where everything seems to be working in isolation, but finding incompatibilities here and there with other mods.

Also the levelling still feels kind of slow (I'm playing with the Archaeologists mod enabled), although this should be helped by using Ralzar's Skill Books mod to boost your language skills with.

I haven't got time to test a full playthrough, so I'll see what feedback I get in terms of levelling and can always tweak this post release.

Going to continue testing and try to fix any further incompatibilities that I find.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Version 0.1 on Nexus here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/257/

Merry Xmas all

Can this be moved into the released mod section please?

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Congrats, one of the more game changing mods out there (although i havent actually played with it yet lol)

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Regnier wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:47 pm Congrats, one of the more game changing mods out there (although i havent actually played with it yet lol)
Thanks! Let me know how it goes when you do :)