3d modles

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
GoodKarma

3d modles

Post by GoodKarma »

ok so i have "started"... i have done the first 2 tutorials for unity. while that was cool i feel like i couldn't do much with that for some reason. i just dont know what to do i guess.

So now im thinking how traditional is the project that we are aiming for supposed to be. meaning are we just going to make high def 2d models or are 3d one better?

other then that i dont even know how to make a font.. i saw some fonts in the editor but didnt know how to change them.. how would i go about that?

GoodKarma

2D Modles

Post by GoodKarma »

in addition to me last topic i am also interested in making more faces then the original game had to offer. is it as simple as adding a new png. to a folder?

Jay_H

Re: 3d modles

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm... I'm trying to find the best way to say this.

At this stage of the project, practically everything's on a streamlined course to putting together a full, original remake of Daggerfall. Everyone's adding what they already know as fast as they can, which doesn't leave a lot of time for tutorials or how-tos.

I don't mean to discourage you. All I'm saying is that it isn't likely you'll get a detailed reply full of instructions at this time, since everyone's putting all their effort into the remake already. Once that's finished, there may be some people who slow down and take some time to explain and explore some more, and we may see more tutorials. Until then, though, we're mostly on a "figure it out and add it in" basis.

For my part, I'm a writer and a planner, but not a programmer, and programming is what needs to be done here. I'm sort of waiting until the next step comes, because I'm not really apt to learning all the necessary programming on my own. If you can learn it on your own, you'll be more than ready to contribute, but if not, you may be waiting awhile for help. That's all I'm saying.

GoodKarma

Post by GoodKarma »

ok so what im mostly would like to know if the community is going to stick with 2D or go 3D or npc and such. i will find out how to advance from there as best as i can on my own. i will try to make my own 2D images till then.

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

I wish this guy was still around, his 3d models were awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-OMn6Wqdg

GoodKarma

Post by GoodKarma »

lol thats way better then i could do im sure. looks like he has been making them for some time. but i will give it a shot... starting with weapons lol.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

GoodKarma wrote:ok so what im mostly would like to know if the community is going to stick with 2D or go 3D or npc and such. i will find out how to advance from there as best as i can on my own. i will try to make my own 2D images till then.
I can confirm that initial focus will be on using all vanilla assets with only some optional graphical enhancements (e.g. LypyL's enhanced sky, Nystul's far terrain and reflections). The goal is for gameplay and core systems to be ramped up first, then we can look at enhancement.

I think it's better for the community to drive enhancement once things are past a certain point, then I can act as a consultant for any questions and help fix any bugs encountered. I imagine there will eventually be several different forks of my code, depending on the goals of future creators. Some people will want a mostly retro, vanilla experience. Others will want something pushed much further in terms of graphics. And others will probably do something totally unexpected. With a powerful, easy-to-use engine and all of my work being open source, pretty much anything is possible.
GoodKarma wrote:in addition to me last topic i am also interested in making more faces then the original game had to offer. is it as simple as adding a new png. to a folder?
There was quite an exceptional body of work created by lutojar on the DaggerXL forums. This post is a bit of a showcase, but sadly many of the images have expired. Fortunately we have an archived copy of the images, some 40 in total.

Right now there is no easy way of adding graphics outside of using the Unity editor itself or via scripting. This situation will change as Daggerfall Unity matures and more focus is brought to modding. I'm sorry this is not a primary focus at the moment, but I feel it's important to actually have a working game before we start modding it. I also address this in my Mission Statement for the project.

Things are moving very quickly though, so please don't be discouraged at the lack of mod support right now. Hang about the community, work on your art, and get feedback from others. There will come a time when this project will belong more to you guys than myself, and I can't wait to see what you all do with it. :)